Wednesday, February 10, 2021

APPLE-MOLASSES MUFFINS

 

It seems to be becoming habit that Friday night comes and we are getting ready for bed and I remember I didn't choose something special to make for breakfast the next morning. The good news is I seem to always find something awesome in a very short time. These Apple-Molasses Muffins came from The Hickory Bed and Breakfast in Hickory, NC. Similar to a number of fresh apple cakes I have made, the batter was fairly thick and I had to ask Wayne to help me stir the batter since I was trying to chop the two apples and my right arm was a little sore after getting my first dose of the COVID vaccine in my right arm (I was sitting in the passenger seat in the car for the drive-thru event).

Wayne later admitted to me that the muffins tasted better than he thought they would. He thought the molasses would over-power the taste and make them heavy tasting, but it didn't. The muffins are quite "cakey" tasting and very light.


 
APPLE-MOLASSES MUFFINS

2     cups flour

1/3  cup molasses

1/4  cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/4  cup milk

1/4  cup butter (1/2 stick)

1     egg

1     teaspoon baking soda

1     teaspoon cinnamon

1/2  teaspoon allspice

1/2  teaspoon salt

1/2  teaspoon chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

2     apples, diced (I also peeled the apples)



Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray or grease and flour a pan to yield 12 medium-sized muffins. (I did have enough batter left to make one small Bundt cake.)


In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the apples and nuts. (I first combined the dry ingredients and then

added the molasses, milk, butter that I melted, and egg.
)

The batter is very thick so be prepared. Stir in apples and nuts.


Spoon into pan.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Leave muffins in pan for 5 minutes before you remove them to a wire rack.

Here is the little Bundt cake I made...


I don't have to worry about this Saturday because I have already picked out my recipe. I found it while I was looking for some main dishes to cook this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment