Monday, February 15, 2021

OATMEAL BROWN BETTY

 Oatmeal Brown Betty is an Amish recipe I see often in my Amish cookbooks. I have wanted to try it, but just never have. We are still in our "deep freeze" but our future is looking warmer on the horizon this weekend. This may be the longest coldest cold-spell Kansas City has ever experienced. When I found we had no dessert to eat in the house, I decided it was the perfect time to try this recipe. 

The recipe I chose to use was Miss Mary U. Weaver's recipe in Miriam Miller's Authentic Amish Cooking The Wooden Spoon Cookbook. It was missing a few things in the recipe, but I made it work. She says to use either corn syrup or honey. Since I knew Wayne likes honey, I decided to use it. You can definitely taste the honey in the dessert. She also said to serve it with milk (as is common in Amish recipes) so we got some Butter Pecan ice cream to enjoy with it. Other fruit may also be used she said.



OATMEAL BROWN BETTY

1/2       teaspoon salt

1/2       teaspoon baking soda

1          cup whole wheat flour

1/2       cup brown sugar

1          cup rolled oats (I used Old Fashioned Oats)

1/2       cup shortening (scant) (I removed 1 teaspoon of shortening)

     *     *     *

2-1/2    cups sliced apples

1/4       cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)

     *    *     *

Butter

1/2       cup corn syrup or honey


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 " square pan. Set aside.


Mix dry ingredients with a whisk.

Cut in shortening til mixture is crumbly.

Spread 1/2 of the crumbs in the bottom of the pan.

Top with apples and

raisins.

Put remaining crumbs on top, covering the apples and raisins. Dot with butter.

Drizzle the corn syrup or honey on top.


Bake for 35 minutes or until apples are soft.


Serve with milk or ice cream. Other fruit my be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment