Tuesday, February 2, 2021

APPLE-GLAZED PORK ROAST

 I have gone years and not cooked a pork tenderloin and then I have cooked two in the last several months. What can I say? My loss, but I have rediscovered this cut of meat again and it will be a regular on my menus now.

I found this recipe in Rival Crock-Pot Cooking cookbook from 1975 that I got at an estate sale (back when Friend Janice and I went to estate sales). That is one thing I really miss with this pandemic. The companies are still having sales, we just chose not to go right now. Hopefully before 2021 is over. I made a few changes because I was using a pork tenderloin instead of other pork roasts and it was smaller than the roast the recipe called for. 

We were so happy with my outcome and it lasted us for three meals since it is just the two of us.



APPLE-GLAZED PORK ROAST

3 to 4 lb pork roast, well trimmed (I cooked a 1.5 lb pork tenderloin)

4 to 6 apples, cored and quartered (I used 3 Granny Smith apples, enough to cover the bottom of my slow cooker)

1/4     cup apple juice

3        tablespoons brown sugar

1        teaspoon ground ginger

I didn't do the first two things, but I will include them incase you are not using a pork tenderloin: Rub roast with salt and pepper. Brown pork roast under broiler to remove excess fat; drain well.

(Spray the slow cooker for easier cleanup.)


Place apple quarters in bottom of slow cooker. Place roast on top of apples.

Combine the apple juice, brown sugar, and ginger.

Spoon over top surface of roast,

covering well.

Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or until done. (Since my tenderloin was half the size of the recipe, I cooked mine 1 hour on HIGH and then 3 hours on LOW. We checked doneness with a meat thermometer.)


Slice to serve.

If you don't have one of these, you must get one. Makes coring and quartering apples so easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment