Tuesday, February 9, 2021

AMISH CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE

We have been lucky so far this winter that it has been a warmer winter so far. At least January was. February started off the same way, but now the second week is here to remind us what winter can be. With a single digit high Sunday and Monday and snow off and on, I think you can say winter has arrived in Kansas City, MO. 

Normally I would spend Sunday afternoon watching the Kansas City Chiefs play football and squeeze in time to make a dessert to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Monday for the other volunteers to enjoy. With snow coming down and a temperature of like 6 degrees, I knew I would probably not be making it to the thrift shop on Monday to clean. The Chiefs were playing football in the Super Bowl so the game was later than usual. Since we didn't have anything sweet in the house, I decided I would make something for us. Maybe a pie.

I found this Chocolate Chip Pie in The Amish Cook's Baking Book by Lovina Eicher with Kevin Williams. Lovina says, "If your children like chocolate chip cookies, then they'll love this pie. The dessert looks like a pie from the top, but when you cut into it, the inside resembles a chocolate chip cookie. A glass of cold milk goes great with a slice of this pie." That sounded like a good dessert to have in the house to enjoy for ourselves.

The pie is a traditional recipe with deep roots in the Amish community for generations. It was very easy to make and a delight for us chocolate lovers. I used dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chips that the recipe called for because I am a big-time chocolate lover. I also reduced the added sugar calories by substituting a stevia blend. I used a frozen pie shell instead of making my own crust. 


CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE

1       cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia blend)

1/2    cup flour

2       large eggs

1/2    cup (1 stick) melted butter

1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)

1       teaspoon vanilla extract

1       9 - inch pie shell, unbaked


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large mixing bow combine the sugar and flour with a whisk.

Add eggs and butter and

stir until the batter is well-blended and smooth.

Add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract,

mix well until smooth and the chips are evenly distributed.

Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

Bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack or window sill until the pie is firm, about 45 minutes.

Store any leftovers in a sealed cake safe. The pie will keep for about 5 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment