Tuesday, February 23, 2021

ENGLISH TOAD IN THE HOLE

I am always attracted to recipes with interesting names. I am used to that with Amish recipes, but this English Toad in the Hole recipe was a recipe from The Old Cape House in Bass River, MA in my The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. The copyright for the book is 1987 which is quite a while ago. I couldn't find the inn when I did a search for it so it may not still be open which is a shame. It sounds like a really interesting place from the description of it in the cookbook.

Anyway, when I saw the name and then how easy it was to prepare, I knew I had to make it for our Special 2021 Saturdays' breakfast. It has to bake for 45 minutes plus I added 5 minutes to the cooking time so I reminded Wayne not to eat much while we were waiting for it to cook. He said he was fine and didn't eat anything.

He loves when I cook using my iron skillets and as we were enjoying our breakfast, he kept trying to figure out how I could bake it in an iron skillet. I just kept eating. We really did enjoy it. I am changing the directions and adding to spray the 9 x 13 - inch pan with nonstick cooking spray because the pancake wanted to stick to the sides of the pan and was a little hard getting out. The rest of the pancake didn't stick but next time I will try spraying the pan lightly first or I could just rub some shortening around the sides of the pan.




ENGLISH TOAD IN THE HOLE

1-1/2    cups flour

2          teaspoons baking powder

1/2       teaspoon salt

3          tablespoons oil

2          eggs

1 to 1-1/4 cups milk (I did use the full amount)

     *     *     *

12        small link sausages


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan or at least grease the sides of the pan.


Arrange the 12 links in the pan. Set aside.


Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl with a whisk.

Add oil, eggs, and milk and beat until well-blended.

Pour the batter over the links.


Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. (I baked mine 50 minutes.)



Serve hot with maple syrup and apple butter, if you like.

 

3 comments:

  1. this looks interesting maybe i will give a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks interesting maybe i will give a try could you use pancake mix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you could or your favorite pancake recipe. I think I like the different presentation and it was easy to prepare. Everyone can eat at the same time and have warm pancakes. Patricia

      Delete