Thursday, February 11, 2021

UPSIDE-DOWN CHEESY MEAT LOAF

 It's terrible when you want to do something, but it's more comfortable sitting in a chair wrapped in a blanket. It was supposed to get up to 15 yesterday. The only time I looked at our thermometer it was 11.8 degrees F outside. I did try to work on a Blanket of Hope but didn't start sewing on it. Later today, maybe. It's only supposed to be 12 though so will see. 

January is usually the coldest month in Kansas City, but not this year. It was really unbelievable for January. The average high temperature in Kansas City for January is 39.5 degrees F. I couldn't find what our average temperature was this past month but I'm sure it was higher than 40 degrees. We seemed to be in a weather pattern of 2 cool days and then 3 days in the 50s and 60+. Looks like February is going to be the coldest month this year. This weekend the low is supposed to be -10 degrees F.

I'm glad of my menu planning though because it makes me get up and at least cook one meal. Yesterday I made this Upside-Down Cheesy Meat Loaf. I originally had planned to make it in several mini loaves and freeze all but one, but after I mixed the ingredients, I decided to just go on and make one large loaf and then cut it into sections and freeze them for later. 

The meat loaf tasted so good but I will warn you to be prepared after you cook it and let it stand 10 to 15 minutes before you turn it upside down, do it over the sink. It was messy with the meat juices when I flipped it onto a platter. But don't let that bit of knowledge keep you from making it because it is quite tasty. I also used sharp cheddar that I grated but you could use any flavor. I have a recipe for Swiss Loaf which is a meatloaf that uses Swiss cheese cut in chunks. It is really, really good.


 


UPSIDE-DOWN CHEESY MEAT LOAF


1/2       cup brown sugar

1/2       cup catsup

     *     *     *

1-1/2    pounds ground beef

3/4       cup milk

2          eggs, beaten

1-1/2    teaspoon salt

1/4       teaspoon pepper

1/4       teaspoon ginger

1          small onion (optional)

1          cup grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)

3/4       cup crushed cracker crumbs



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan. Set aside.


Combine the brown sugar and catsup in a bowl.


Pour into the bottom of the loaf pan. Set aside.


Mix together the remaining ingredients




and

spread into loaf pan over brown sugar mixture.


Bake for 1 hour. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before

turning upside down onto a platter with a lip to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment