Wednesday, January 9, 2013

APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL MUFFINS

I saw this recipe on Pinterest from Caitlin at Caitlin cooks but mostly bakes!  I pinned it and quite a few people repinned it.  Since I had the ingredients (I thought), I decided to make them this morning with a few changes. I used quick oats and reduced the oil to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of applesauce. I also added nuts.  I love nuts in everything. I often use Splenda or truvia instead of sugar in recipes. This time I didn't, but I am sure it would have been fine. I was very please with my outcome. My husband, also.

They are really easy and only take a little bit longer to make because you have to peel and dice an apple, but it is worth the trouble. See how I speed up the process below.  (At least I feel like I do)

Here is my version of Caitlin's....



APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL MUFFINS

1-1/2    cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2       cups rolled oats (I didn't have the rolled oats so used quick)
1/3       cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3       cup sugar
1/2       teaspoon cinnamon
2          teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
2/3      cups skim milk
1/4       cup canola oil
1/4       cup unsweetened applesauce
2         eggs, lightly beaten
1          teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2   cups chopped apples
1/2      cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 12-cup muffin tin

In large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients (dry ingredients) with a whisk.

In another bowl, stir milk, oil, applesauce, and eggs until blended.

Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients stirring just to combine.

(Oops, forgot to add the eggs to the wet ingredients.)

Add the apples and stir.

Then I added the nuts.

Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. (Batter isn't thick.)

Bake 15 - 20 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center (it should come out clean).

Cool on wire rack in pan for 5 minutes.  Remove and continue cooling on rack.  

If my muffin pan had had one more cup, I would have made a baker's dozen (13) muffins. Since it doesn't, I made 5 mini muffins, too. If it continued at that ratio, the recipe would make 65 mini muffins. Nice size for a get-together with friends and a pot of tea or coffee.
I filled the empty cups about half way up with water so the 5 mini muffins would cook evenly.

Serve warm or completely cooled.  Muffins may be frozen to eat later.

NOTE!
If the recipe calls for sliced or chopped apples, I use my apple corer/slicer and a knife. First I "cut" the apple in wedges.

Then I peeled the wedges.  (You could peel the apple first if you like.)

If I needed apple slices, I cut once down the middle lengthwise of each wedge or cut it into 3 equal slices if I want thinner slices. I like to chop apples fine, so after I cut each wedge into 3 slices, I then diced the slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment