Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TAVERN SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

When we were on our vacation in September to D. C. and Williamsburg, VA, I had some sweet potato cornbread at a restaurant.  I asked for the recipe, but didn't get it.  I looked everywhere for a recipe, but after not having any luck, I made up my own quickie recipe using Jiffy cornbread mix.  Check it out HERE.

Anyway, later I got to thinking about a recipe for sweet potato muffins.  I was thinking about trying a generic muffin recipe and adding sweet potatoes to it. But I got busy with the holidays and never got around to it.

Later, I was flipping through a couple of cookbooks just looking for recipes and picked up my From Williamsburg Kitchens cookbook I bought while on vacation and there right in front of me about half way through the cookbook was Tavern Sweet Potato Muffins.

Well, I finally got around to making them this morning. All I can say is .. "too bad it only makes 6 muffins." Guess I will just have to double the recipe.

They are really good. The recipe calls for raisins and I didn't have any so I used dried cranberries. I did forget to chop them, but it didn't hurt the taste any they just aren't spread out as much throughout the muffin.




TAVERN SWEET POTATO MUFFINS


1/2    cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup truvia)
2/3    cup sweet potato, cooked and drained
2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon cinnamon
1/2    cup skim milk
4       tablespoons margarine (1/2 stick)
1       egg
3/4    cup all-purpose flour  (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4    cup pecans, chopped (I used walnuts)
1/4    cup raisins, chopped (I used dried cranberries)

Spray muffin tin (for 6 muffins)with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mash the sweet potato.  


Cream the margarine and sugar in mixing bowl.









Beat in egg and sweet potatoes.









Sift the flour with the other dry ingredients. Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture. Mix.







Add the milk, nuts, and raisins, and mix just til blended.








Spoon in to the muffin tin filling each tin completely.
(I was nervous about filling the cup full, but it worked fine, just like it was supposed to)




A little cinnamon-sugar can be sprinkled on top of each muffin.





Bake for 25 minutes.


Cool on wire rack in pan for 20 minutes. May need to loosen the muffins with a knife around the edges.









Remove from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.

Tip Alert!  Have you ever been confused when you read a recipe that calls for something chopped if you measure before or after you chop?  Well, here is what I do....and an easy way to remember....look and see where the word chopped comes.....before or after the food item.  If it comes before (1/2 cup chopped nuts), you chop before you measure.  If the word comes after (1/2 cup nuts, chopped), then chop the nuts after you measure them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment