Wednesday, January 30, 2013

BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

If you check out my blog very often, especially the recipes, you know I usually change recipes to reduce the calories. I also choose to make "breads" in mini pans so that I can freeze them and bring out to eat later. Besides providing variety, we don't have a big loaf tempting us to eat it before it gets old.  

I saved this recipe recently from Smart Balance. I was attracted to it for three reasons: 1)  Smart Balance had already done a lot to reduce the calories, 2) they were muffins so that meant not a lot to eat at a time, and 3) they were made using bananas and chocolate chips---two of my favorite ingredients to cook (bake) with.

Since this recipe made muffins, it gave me a perfect chance to use a muffin tin I got at a garage sale that had never been used for $5. It was still in the box and included the booklet that came with it.  
(look closely at the picture....do you see the optical illusion I see?  Are you looking at the top side or the under side of the muffin pan? Neat!)

Sorry, back to the recipe. The only change I made was using whole wheat pastry flour instead of just whole wheat flour.






BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS


3       medium bananas mashed (I used 1-1/2 cup mashed bananas)
1/3    cup unsweetened applesauce
1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4    teaspoon baking soda
1/4    teaspoon salt
2       tablespoon margarine, softened
1/3    cup light brown sugar (packed)
2       large eggs (whites only)
1/2    teaspoon vanilla
1/2    cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.

Mash the bananas in a small bowl.  

Separate the yokes and the egg white in two bowls. You only use the egg whites in this recipe.

Cream the margarine and brown sugar in mixer til smooth. Add the egg whites, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Beat til completely combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.

Add the flour mixture and combine on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the chocolate chips and stir them in.

Fill the muffin tin 

and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Check doneness with the toothpick test.

Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.  Then remove muffins and continue cooling them

Aren't they just the cutest things?


I decided to "dust" some with sifted powdered sugar





















Then I mixed up a little powdered sugar and milk and made a glaze for some



















and left one little "guy" alone.
















When I filled the muffin tin, I had about "one muffin" batter left. One of the gifts I got at Christmas from my CO grandkids, was two mini pie pans and two mini bundt pans. I decided I would take the leftover batter and make one mini bundt "cake". I could have used a little bit more batter so I decided to "cover" the top with chocolate chips. (It also gave it some chips since there were very few chips in the leftover batter.)  


Here it is before I cooked it.










and after I took it out. It's really cute too. I left it just like that.











I didn't tell you how good these muffins are, but then you know they are.....I wouldn't share any recipe with you that wasn't excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment