Monday, January 21, 2013

APPLE CRANBERRY BREAD

I have found the best recipe for cranberry bread with apple and I owe it all to my friend Sue.  

Some of us recently gathered at Sue's for a fun afternoon of Mexican Train.  She had made two "breads" that she served us.  One of them was Apple Cranberry Bread.  

I forgot my camera and had to take a picture of it with my phone.  Well, the phone didn't do the bread justice so yesterday afternoon I decided to make it so I would have a good picture to show you.

I asked her if she had used whole wheat flour in it and she said she hadn't.  When I made it yesterday, I decided to make a few changes.  I didn't use all whole wheat pastry flour, but did use half whole wheat pastry flour and half soft wheat flour.  I also reduced the sugar by using truvia baking blend.  The only other change I made was cutting the fresh cranberries in half. 

Whether you make it with my changes or not, you will certainly agree with Sue.  She made a copy of her recipe for me to bring home.  On the top of her copy she had written "Excellent" and had given it four stars.  I certainly agree with her. Oh, she got the recipe from allrecipes.com.  It had been submitted by Phyllis Schmalz.




APPLE CRANBERRY BREAD

2        eggs
3/4     cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2  tablespoons truvia baking blend)
2        tablespoons canola oil
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 3/4 cup soft wheat flour)
1-1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
1/2      teaspoon salt
2         cups chopped, peeled tart apples (I finely chopped 1-1/2 Granny Smith apples)
1         cup fresh or frozen cranberries ( I used 1 cup fresh cranberries and cut them in half.)
1/2      cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8-in x 4-in x 2-in loaf pan (or 2 mini loaf pans) with cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and oil until completely blended. 

In a small bowl combine the flour(s), baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.

Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture just until combined (batter will be thick).

Chop apples, cranberries and walnuts and stir into the batter. (I stirred just a little bit with mixer and then finished with a wooden spoon.)



Spoon into the loaf pans and bake 60 - 65 minutes for the larger loaf or 40 minutes in the mini loaf pans.  Check doneness with the toothpick test.

Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.

Remove from pans and continue cooling completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment