Thursday, January 24, 2013

APPLE BREAD

I mentioned in my post for the APPLE CRANBERRY BREAD that Sue served two different "breads".  The second one she had was Apple Bread.  She said it was dry because she had used whole wheat flour for the flour. I admit I didn't try it, but had a second piece of the Apple Cranberry Bread because I liked it so much.

I do have whole wheat flour stored in my refrigerator, but admit I almost always use my whole wheat pastry flour.  It is ground finer and doesn't taste as strong.  I often use it completely for all-purpose flour in recipes and can't tell the difference.  I have also been using soft wheat pastry flour for all-purpose flour.  I understand it has less glutton than all-purpose flour.

When I made the Apple Bread by the recipe that Sue gave me, I did make some changes.  The first thing I did was cut the recipe in half.  It was easy to do except that the original recipe called for 3 eggs.  I had some smaller eggs that were given me from my son and his wife when we visited the first of the month that their chicken laid.  Since they were smaller, I decided to use two of them in the reduced recipe.  If you don't have some medium eggs and want to use my amounts, I would say it is better to use two large eggs than just one.  You also could use egg beaters to equal 1-1/2 eggs.

I am really enjoying the Apple Bread that I made. It is  so moist. I did use half whole wheat pastry flour and half soft wheat pastry flour. I also used truvia baking blend and so used half the sugar amount. (Splenda baking blend would also work). Another change I made was reducing the oil by half and then using unsweetened applesauce for the other half. This is always a good way to reduce the amount of oil called for in a recipe. I made two mini loaves. It would make one regular loaf, if you preferred. If you wanted to make mini loaves for gifts, you could just double my recipe and make 4 mini loaves or 2 regular loaves.




APPLE BREAD

1-1/2   cups flour (I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half soft wheat pastry flour.)
3/4      teaspoon cinnamon
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/8      teaspoon baking powder
2         medium eggs
1         cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia baking blend)
1/4      cup canola oil
1/4      cup unsweetened applesauce
1         cup diced apples, (peeled)
1/4      cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray loaf pans with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, coming flour, cinnamon, soda, salt, and baking powder together with a whisk.

Beat eggs and add sugar, oil, and applesauce.

Add vanilla and dry ingredients.

Stir in apples.

Add nuts.

Pour into loaf pans.

Bake for 40 minutes.  Check doneness with the toothpick test.

Cool for ten minutes on a wire rack.


Remove from pans and continue cooling on wire rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment