Tuesday, January 15, 2013

BAKED PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE

The first time I ate baked pineapple was when my husband and I were invited to dinner at our friends, Helen and Norm's. It was really good. I intended to ask Helen for the recipe, but forgot.

Last night I decided to cook some flounder fillets that you can eat at Bob Evans (that I buy frozen from them) and remembered that delicious dish that Helen had served us. I wasn't sure what the name was, but I knew the main ingredients. I looked in so many of my cookbooks but couldn't find a recipe with pineapple that sounded like it. I didn't take the time to look in my cookbooks that just have the recipe titles. So when all else fails, where do we go now days??????, but the internet.

I found several sites that had Baked Cheesy Pineapple or just Baked Pineapple. I checked a few out. Most of them were making enough for an army and talked about layering 4 or 5 times. Finally I looked at Paula Deen's recipe. She didn't layer and it was easy for me to "cut" the recipe down. I am very happy with my choice.

When I was "little" (and my husband said his mother did the same), my mother would often fix a pineapple salad for us at our meals. I even did it a few times after my husband and I got married. It is so simple to do. On a leaf of lettuce, place a pineapple slice. Over the slice, grate some cheese. Then place a heaping teaspoon of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing on top, and enjoy. And enjoy it I did.

This baked pineapple casserole has that similar taste. Here is Paula's recipe reduced (4 - 6 SERVINGS) and with my changes in the parenthesis.



BAKED PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE

1/2    cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup truvia baking blend)
3       tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1       cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used mild)
1       20-ounce pineapple chunks, drained, reserve 3 tablespoons of juice (I used crushed)
1/2   cup Ritz cracker crumbs (I used 12 whole wheat Ritz crackers)
4      tablespoons butter (I used margarine)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and flour with a whisk.


Gradually stir in the grated cheese making sure that the cheese is completely covered with the sugar/flour mixture.


Add the drained pineapple.









Stir til well combined.









Spread evenly in the baking dish.









Crush the 12 crackers in a bag with a rolling pin.








In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted margarine, and reserved pineapple juice completely.






Spread on top of the pineapple/cheese mixture.








Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment