Tuesday, January 29, 2013

CHEDDAR BACON CHICKEN TENDERS

Yesterday at this time it was above 70 degrees. Right now it is 40 degrees.  It was raining when I got up this morning, even had some thunder. By in the morning I think we could have 1-4 inches of snow....or at least that's what a customer told me today when I was "working" at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. We really needed the rain. We are about 19 inches below normal for the past 12 months.   

I am so excited to share a new recipe I tried for baked chicken last night. It is a recipe I found from Betty Crocker. I had to make a couple of changes but my husband said it was perfect the way I made it so that's good enough for me.



CHEDDAR BACON CHICKEN TENDERS

1-2    large egg(s)
1/2   cup bread crumbs (I make my own from bread)
1/2   cup shredded cheddar cheese (chopped)
1/4   cup bacon bits (I cooked 4 strips of bacon and crumbled them)*see tip alert below*
1/2   lb (4) chicken tenders

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray OR use parchment paper(that's what I plan to do next time).


Beat egg in a shallow dish. Mix bread crumbs, cheese, and crumbled bacon in a ziplock bag.(I think it would also work if you had this mixture in a pie plate and dip chicken in it.)



Dip chicken strip in egg mixture










and flip over coating well.










Drop in bag and shake.










Then return to egg mixture and coat again on both sides.


Return to bag and shake again. (or use your hand to cover the strip.

Repeat til all 4 strips have been coated.


After I had the 4 strips on the cookie sheet, I took some more of the "coating mixture", and made sure the top of the strip was covered.







I cooked mine about 23 minutes and called my husband to dinner. He really liked the dish....and I did too.










TIP ALERT!   A FAST EASY WAY TO COOK BACON IN THE MICROWAVE

My uncle Jim showed me this way to cook bacon in the microwave a number of years ago. I also use my microwave bacon "pan" but I think you could use any dish that you can put in the microwave.

First cover the dish with two layers of paper towels.

Then place bacon strips on top.

Lastly, cover bacon with one layer of paper towels.

You might have to experiment with the time to cook since microwaves are different.

I cooked these two strips 1 minute and 45 seconds for crispy (which is perfect if you are wanting to make bacon bits.

If you are cooking bacon to eat and you don't like crispy bacon, this method works, just cook it less time. It will also make a difference if you are using thick bacon or thinner bacon. I especially like the method because the paper towel soaks up so much of the grease. At least I don't feel so guilty about eating it then.

2 comments:

  1. this blog http://www.kissrecipe.com/2013/08/cheddar-bacon-chicken-tenders.html is stealing food bloggers images and merging them to create pinterest interesting posts. I let her know I'm willing to allow the use of ONE of my images with a link back for a feature but not more, I threatened to report her to google if she doesn't take mine down after 48 hours, you should do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashlee. I checked it out and she does have my pictures but she does have two links to my site. Maybe your threat made her go back and make changes. There is another site that showed my peach jam post but has links. I have seen traffic from that site. Thanks again for letting me know.

      Delete