Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SWEET POTATOES with APPLES & CRANBERRIES

I found this recipe the other day for serving sweet potatoes with apples and cranberries when I was looking for my recipe for Swiss loaf.  I made it last year, but had honestly forgotten about the recipe this year.  

I cut the recipe from a booklet of coupons.  It was on the page with a coupon for Ziplock Zip'n Steam Bags.  I bought a "box" (it is actually a bag of bags) of the bags and found the "box" when I was reorganizing my pantry in the kitchen.  I moved my "bags" and other paper products from the high top shelf to the lowest shelf.  The interesting thing is...this recipe is not included with the other recipes in the "box".

The dish is really easy to make.  I especially like that it is a different way to serve sweet potatoes other than baking (our usual way of eating them).  My husband thought it needed more "seasoning".  I personally think it was perfect.  I guess you could increase the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon, but that is just up to you.

The recipe says to just put everything in the bag and mix it in the bag.  I put everything in a bowl first because I was afraid I might have two much "stuff", but it worked out find.  The bag actually holds more than it looks like it will hold. Because I didn't completely follow the directions and mixed everything in a bowl first, some of the "seasoning" was left in the bowl even though I tried to scrape out all of it.  So even though my pictures will show mixing everything in a bowl, that really isn't necessary.





SWEET POTATOES with APPLES & CRANBERRIES

2  medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces.

1  medium Granny Smith apple, cored and diced into small (3/4 to 1-inch) pieces

2  tablespoons dried cranberries

1-1/2  tablespoon butter (I used light margarine)

1  rounded tablespoon brown sugar

3/4  teaspoon salt

1  teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a Ziplock Zip'n Steam Bag.

Seal bag and shake gently to combine ingredients. Pat ingredients into single layer.  Place bag in microwave.

Cook on full power for 8 to 9 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.  If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals.

Allow bag to stand for 1 minute before handling.  Carefully open bag and serve.

Here are my pictures I took while preparing.

bite size pieces of the peeled and cut sweet potatoes...







Since the apples aren't peeled, I chopped them using my apple corer/slicer.  This method is an easy way to cut the required sizes for the apples....



The sweet potatoes, apples, and dried cranberries...






I didn't remember how I did it last year, but I didn't like the idea of just adding the melted butter to the bag without mixing the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon together first.  So I mixed those ingredients together in a small bowl and then poured it over the potato mixture.  I still think I would mix these ingredients together and then pour it in the bag.


All mixed up.









Poured into the bag.  It has a fill-line.








The bag also has directions for placing it in the microwave. (which side up)







Cook in the microwave for 8 minutes on high.  Leave in the microwave for at least 1 minutes before handling.




Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment