Saturday, January 12, 2013

COCONUT BANANA BUNDT CAKE

I finally have my Christmas decoration put away. It is quite a chore. (I'll tell you about it in another post.) So to celebrate, I went to the kitchen.

Tomorrow the handbell choir is playing in church. That means we have to practice the hour before during Sunday school. I thought I would make something today and take it to share with the other members tomorrow. I hope they like bananas and coconut.

I got the idea for this cake from Mary Beth at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes. You can see her Banana Coconut Upside Down Cake here.  The idea I got from her was blending bananas and coconut together in a cake, not the way she did, but my way.  I decided to make mine in my tubed pan.  I have had this pan forever. It isn't a Bundt pan but I like it because my cakes always come out completely....no sticking in the "cracks". It is also easier to clean up.

This is the recipe I came up with. My ways to reduce the calories are in parenthesis. 




COCONUT BANANA BUNDT CAKE

1      yellow cake mix (I used Pillsbury Sugar Free Classic Yellow)
3     large eggs
1/4  cup canola oil
1/2  cup water
1/2  cup sour cream (light)
2     bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
1      cup coconut (unsweetened fine)

GLAZE:

1    cup shifted powdered sugar
1    teaspoon coconut extract
2    tablespoon skim milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray tubed pan with cooking spray.

Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on low until all ingredients are wet. Scrap the sides of the bowl if necessary. Then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.



Spread evenly into tubed pan.



Bake for 45 -  50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.

Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.

While it is cooling in the pan, prepare the coconut glaze. Combine shifted powdered sugar, coconut extract, and milk in a small bowl. Stir until it is completely smooth.




Then spoon it over the warm cake as soon as you remove it from the pan. 



I like to make my glaze thin so it will seep into the cake. You could make it thicker if you prefer to have a "white" glaze drizzled on top. Just don't add as much milk.



My husband and I had to try it out. I wouldn't want to take something for my friends that didn't taste good. BTW, it tastes great and is so moist.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, it does. (taste so good)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jean. Wayne wants me to make them in as muffins and add more coconut to the top. He really likes the recipe and was impressed it was my own creation.

    ReplyDelete