Monday, October 1, 2012

JIFFY SWEET POTATO CORNBREAD

While we were on vacation, we had dinner one night at a restaurant called Food for Thought in Williamsburg, VA.  (btw, I would highly recommend it--food was great!)  In the basket of breads were two pieces of what I thought must be sweet potato cornbread.  It didn't really taste like cornbread so I asked our waiter if that was what it was.  (It had more of a texture of cake....less cornmeal than flour, I think.)  Anyway, he said it was.  I asked him how they made it (recipe) and he wouldn't tell me.  

I searched all of the recipe books everywhere we went after that, but never found a recipe for sweet potato cornbread.  I decided I would just have to experiment on my own til I came up with one.

Yesterday, I decided to make a pot of Texas Bean Soup (I'll do a posting of it later this week...it is oh so delicious!) and also some cornbread.  

I had some Jiffy cornbread mix I had bought and thought I would just make it instead of mixing up my recipe from scratch.  Remembering the sweet potato cornbread, I decided to start my experimenting (I do intend to work on a recipe from scratch).  

Well, the result was so delicious I had to take a few minutes to share it with you.  It is so easy and so good and so fast.  I can't believe I have never thought about doing it before.



JIFFY SWEET POTATO CORNBREAD

1   box  Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3  cup milk
1/2  cup mashed sweet potato


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
Combine all ingredients in a small bowlStir til moistened with a whisk. 












Put a dab of shortening in each muffin cup













and place muffin pan in oven to melt the shortening and heat the pan a little.










Spoon mixture into pan and bake in oven for 20 minutes.













Remove and serve warm.

Great with a little dab of butter.


6 comments:

  1. I have a box of Jiffy and a small leftover sweet potato...here I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Ruth! You won't be sorry. You can also use canned sweet potatoes--just drain them real well. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this Thursday for Thanksgiving....sounds great thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made them very moist and put orange marmalade on them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe for a chili potluck dinner and it was a hit!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! Thanks for letting me know, Whitney.

      Delete