Tuesday, October 23, 2012

APPLE CRANBERRY PIE

I have mentioned before about joining the Northland New Neighbors League when we moved from Ventura, CA to Kansas City, MO.  I love how being a member gave me access to ladies with common interests and so many activities to participate in.  

The Tasty Bunch is one of the few activities that involves the husbands.  We are 6 couples who meet once a month at a restaurant chosen by one of the couples(host/ess of the month). We try to find new places that are locally owned to enjoy a good meal.  After dinner we gather at the host/ess's house for dessert and further conversation.

This month we were the host/ess.  The group was only 3 couples as several were out of town.  I had planned to make two pies, but since there were just 6 of us, I just made one.  

I have had this recipe for several years.  I cut it out of an ad,I think, for Splenda.  If you didn't want to use Splenda, you could certainly use sugar instead.  See my personal notes below the recipe.



APPLE CRANBERRY PIE

1   (15-oz)pkg.  refrigerated piecrusts
1/2 cup          Splenda
1   tablespoon   all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon     ground cinnamon
4                large Granny Smith apples,
                 peeled, cored, and sliced
1   cup          cranberries, coarsely
                 chopped
(I freeze my whole cranberries when I buy them.  It is really easy to slice them in half when frozen.  If the berry is a large one, I cut the half in half.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (375 degrees F for glass pie pan.

Unroll one piecrust and fit it into a 9 - inch pie plate according to package directions.

Combine Splenda, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.

Sprinkle over apples and cranberries, tossing gently.

Spoon mixture into piecrust.

Unroll the second pie crust and place over the filling.  Fold edges under and crimp.  Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.

Bake 40 minutes or until crust is golden.

 






TIP ALERT!

I recently bought a peck of Jonathan apples.  They have a good taste and worked well in this pie.  The only problem is that they are small.  I started out with 8 of them as the recipe called for 4 large Granny Smith apples.

I peeled them and then used my apple corer/slicer.

      
To make sure I had enough apples, I piled the thick slices in the pie plate I planned to use.  The glass pie plate is deep, too, so I wanted to make sure I had enough.

I ended up peeling 12 apples.  I also measured them in my 4 - cup measuring cup, and I had maybe 7 cups.  Most apple pie recipes call for 6 cups of sliced apples.

I like my apple corer/slicer especially when the recipe calls for apple slices because I can have equal size slices easily.  I take the "slice" made by the corer/slicer and then cut it in half.


Another tip to pass on to you:  When I had to toss the apple slices with the sugar mixture, I poured the apples in my dutch oven pot(biggest bowl I had)and then tossed them to get a fairly even coverage.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment