Tuesday, October 9, 2012

PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD LOAVES

If you are following my blog and our End of the Summer 2012 Vacation, I am having to take a day off (it is taking me longer to write Day 3 in D.C. than I planned).  I should have the next installment ready tomorrow though.  In the meanwhile, I hope you will look at this recipe and even try it.  It is so delicious.  The pumpkin calms the taste of the gingerbread so if you don't like gingerbread because of its "strong" flavor, give this a try.  I think you won't be sorry.  

I have been on a pumpkin kick the last few days and have three different recipes to share with you, but of all three, this is probably my favorite so I am sharing it first.  AND remember check back with me tomorrow for the third installment of our vacation.  (Leon, if it will make you feel better, I will give you and Janice one of the loaves I froze.)



PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD LOAVES

2     cups all-purpose flour
1/2  cup packed light brown sugar 
2     teaspoon baking powder
1     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
1     cup canned pumpkin
1/2  cup molasses
2     eggs
1/3  cup (light) margarine or butter
1/4  cup (skim) milk
1     tablespoon grated gingerroot OR 1   teaspoon ground ginger

TOPPING
1/3  cup finely chopped walnuts
2     tablespoon sugar

Spray three mini-loaf pans with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together 1  CUP of the flour, the brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda.


Add the pumpkin, molasses, eggs, margarine, milk and ginger.


Beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds or til combined.  Beat on medium to high speed 2 minutes, scraping sides of the bowl as needed.  Add remaining flour; and beat 2 more minutes or til mixed.


Divide batter evenly among the pans.


FOR THE TOPPING: 

Stir together the walnuts and sugar.


Sprinkle evenly over the batter in each pan.


Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or til a toothpick inserted near the center of each loaf comes out clean.  Cool loaves in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.

Remove from pans.  Cool thoroughly on wire racks.


TO FREEZE:

Wrap each loaf tightly in plastic wrap.  Place in plastic freezer bag.  Can freeze up to 6 months.  To thaw, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment