Tuesday, October 30, 2012

COLONIAL APPLE CAKE

This recipe was from Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook. I decided to make it since I still have Jonathan apples that I got in Jamesport.  They are small and so it means having to peel more apples, but they are really delicious.  

When Janice and I were in Jamesport, I also bought some flour that was labeled "soft wheat".  It was similar in color to all-purpose flour so I decided to get it and try it in recipes in place of all-purpose flour.  I have since discovered that "soft wheat" flour has a lower gluten content.  So far it is working out fine in recipes that I want to use all-purpose flour instead of substituting my whole wheat pastry flour.

They made it in a tube pan but I  made it in the mini loaf pans so I can freeze them for another day.  I don't think I have ever seen an apple cake recipe that contained dates.  I love dates so I didn't hesitate to try it and add the chopped dates. 

It made a very moist cake.  It would be a good cake to make in the mini loaf pans and give as Christmas gifts.
 
COLONIAL APPLE CAKE

2-1/4  cups unsifted all-purpose flour (I used soft wheat flour)
1          teaspoon baking powder
1          teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4     teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
1-3/4  cups sugar (I used 3/4  cup + 2  tablespoon truvia blend)
1-1/4   cups canola oil
2          eggs
1/4      cup skim milk
1          teaspoon  vanilla
2          cups chopped, peeled apple
1/2      cup chopped dates
1          teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 - 2    tablespoons confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 12-cup bundt pan or 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.  Set aside.






Combine sugar, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla in large mixing bowl.  
Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add flour mixture.  Beat at medium speed for two more minutes.
Stir in apples, dates, and lemon peel.
Pour batter into pan(s).

















Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes in bundt pan or 50 minutes in the mini loaf pans.  Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake.

Let stand 10 minutes on wire rack.
Remove from pan(s) and cool slightly.  









Sift confectioners sugar onto cake. 

















Serve warm.  Top with whipped cream, if desired.

I didn't add the whipped cream to enjoy it.  It was moist enough without it.

I hope you will try the recipe.  I don't think you'll be sorry.
 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you for posting this. I received the Treasury of Christmas Recipes the year I got married from my mom as a Christmas gift. :) 20 years later, the pages are falling out, and I couldn't find the apple cake... one of our favorites. I make all the Christmas candies as gifts.
    Again thank you!
    MarieAnne Branaman Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful cake!!! It is very Delicious, Thanks for offering so simple recipe that everybody can understand and can get savor of a delicious cake.


    Online Cake Delivery in Noida
    Online Cake Delivery in Delhi
    Online Cake Delivery in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that.
    read articles

    ReplyDelete
  4. The varieties of rice are typically classified as long-, medium-, and short-grained.The grains of long-grain rice (high in amylose) tend to remain intact after cooking; medium-grain rice (high in amylopectin) becomes more sticky. Best wholesale rice distributors offer rice that are used for sweet dishes, for risotto in Italy, and many rice dishes, such as arrĂ²s negre, in Spain. Some varieties of long-grain rice that are high in amylopectin, known as Thai Sticky rice, are usually steamed.
    visit our website for further information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our organically grown, Long-Grain White Rice is certified Organic by Quality best wholesalers in usaAssurance International (QAI) and is Non-GMO Project Verified. Carolina is a trusted brand, by many families, to provide you with the very best quality rice products. Our rice is simple to prepare and when cooked, the long and slender grains become fluffy and delicious, making it a perfect complement for a wide variety of all of your favorite dishes like organic long grain brown rice, Casseroles and Salads. Taste the difference of cooking with Organic Rice in your next dish. visit my site for more information.

    ReplyDelete