Monday, October 29, 2012

BANANA SCOTCH MUFFINS

I have a cookbook called Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook  that I bought several years ago when I was teaching school.  On the left side page is two recipes and on the right side page is a picture of one of the two recipes.  I like seeing a picture of the finished product.  At least I can see what half of the recipes in the cookbook look like.  I have many recipes that I have made that are very good and I would love to share them on my blog.  The problem is I don't have a picture of the finished product.

Today I was looking through the cookbook for recipes using pumpkin, apples, or bananas.  I have all of these in my pantry right now.  At least the pumpkin is in cans.  I found a number of recipes that sound interesting and most of them were the ones with the pictures.  I need to buy a couple of ingredients for some of the recipes, but I will be trying them and sharing them with you over the next weeks (if I like the results, that is.)

The first one I want to share with you and that I made today is Banana Scotch Muffins.  I didn't have the butterscotch chips called for in the recipe and I thought I would try them with chocolate chips or dried cranberries.  But we decided to go out to dinner and before we came home, we stopped at an Aldi and I bought some butterscotch chips.  They gave the muffin an interesting taste....different from what the chocolate chips would taste like.


BANANA SCOTCH MUFFINS

2/3   cup puree banana (1 extra large banana or 2 small ones)
1       egg, beaten
1/2   cup sugar (I used Splenda)
1/4   cup skim milk
1/4   cup canola oil
1       teaspoon vanilla extract
1       cup flour
1       cup quick-cooking oats
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/2   teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon salt
1/2   cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Puree banana in blender (my banana were very ripe so I just mashed them real well); combine with egg, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla.

Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients just til blended.

Add the chips.

Spoon batter into muffin tin cups that have been sprayed with cooking oil.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

Cool on wire rack for 10.

Remove and continue to cool.

Makes 12 muffins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment