Tuesday, December 5, 2017

ANGEL FOOD COOKIES

This is the second recipe I have made from my latest Amish Cookbook, Big Valley Amish Cook-Book from Big Valley, PA. There are over 1000 recipes in the book, but so many do not include instructions. Until I get brave and take a chance, I will be trying only the ones that are "complete".

This recipe for Angel Food Cookies was complete (well almost - I had to add a few instructions) and I was intrigued with the title. The recipe did make 8 dozen cookies and if you follow my blog, you know I will cut the recipes in half so I don't have to make so many. It is good if you are making cookies for a large gathering, but for us, if I just plan to keep them for us, we can't eat that many cookies before they get "old". It was easy to do that with this recipe. Yay. This is one of the few recipes in the book that is not attributed to someone.?

And the results? OMG! They just about melt in your mouth when they are warm. Even when they are cold and crunchy, they still melt in your mouth. They would if you didn't have to chew the coconut. (ha) I have never dipped cookie dough in water before rolling in sugar, but the outcome was fabulous. My MO grandchildren (7 and 5) liked them, too.



ANGEL FOOD COOKIES

2       cups shortening (1 cup)
2       teaspoons baking soda (1 teaspoon)
2       teaspoons cream of tartar (1 teaspoon)
2       cups coconut (1 cup and I used unsweetened coconut)
4       cups flour (2 cups)
1       cup brown sugar (1/2 cup)
1       cup white sugar (1/2 cup)
2       eggs (1 egg)
1/4    teaspoon salt (1/8 teaspoon)
2       teaspoons flavor (1 teaspoon and I used vanilla)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 


Mix (beat) shortening and sugars together.


Add eggs and mix together. (Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, coconut, and salt) with a whisk.


Add the dry ingredients and mix well.


Add flavor.


Roll dough in small balls. (I used my cookie scoop which makes a small ball.)
(I decided it was best to go on and make the balls and then do the dipping and rolling for the 12 cookies on the sheet.)


Dip ball in water and
then roll in sugar.


Place on cookie sheet and
bake for 15 minutes, or until brown. ( I used a non-stick cookie sheet and baked them for 14 minutes.)


Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment