Tuesday, December 19, 2017

CAROL'S BACON WRAPPED STUFFED DATES

If you read my blog, you have probably read that I don't do appetizers well. I don't really know why; I just don't. Whenever I find a good one to make, I get excited and hope I will remember it the next time I need to make one. 

Thursday night we went to Friend's Patricia and Gary's Open House that they have for their street every Christmas. (We don't live in their neighborhood, but she invites us because we are friends and in Tasty Bunch together.) I made the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Truffles which were a big hit. Friend Carol brought her Stuffed Dates. (She brought them last year also.) I had forgotten about them until she mentioned to me earlier in the day that that was what she was bringing. I took one bite and announced, "This is what I am taking tomorrow night to the Friends' Couples' Bridge Christmas party." I remembered how good they were, I had just forgotten about them. I thought I had shared it last year here, but when I looked, I couldn't find it.

Well, guess how I spent the hour before we went? If you said, "making some stuffed dates to take to the party" you are right. I actually got them ready for the oven but waited to bake them in the oven until it was closer to time to leave. That way they were still warm when we got to the party.



CAROL'S BACON WRAPPED STUFFED DATES

1       lb bacon, fried limp and cut in half
3       oz. cream cheese (You can use fat free or reduced fat)
sliced almonds
1       lb pitted dates (You can use whole dates and remove the pits)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 


Cut bacon slices in half (I had 23 dates so I just took out 12 slices of bacon) and
fry til limp.
I placed it on paper towels to absorb some of the grease.
Slice dates in half (down one side).Remove pit if necessary.

Pinch off a piece of cheese and place inside date.

Top with one or more almond slice(s) and close date.

Wrap with half slice of bacon and
secure with a toothpick. 
Place on a baking sheet and
bake for 10 minutes. (I placed my wire rack in the bottom of the jelly roll pan and placed wrapped dates on top of the rack to bake and baked them for 15 minutes to cook the bacon a little bit more.)



Remove from oven and place on paper towel to absorb excess fat. (Since I had baked them on the wire rack, I didn't do this.)

These are so awesome. Everyone loved them at the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment