Wednesday, December 6, 2017

BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE

Last week I made some Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake (recipe from the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC) and took them to share with the rest of our Sunday school class who were being the Hospitality Team at church. I took them because one of our members, Mike, had asked if I had brought anything the week before. (Not sure why he thought I would have because it is not something I normally do, but he asked.) So I decided to make the scones and surprise them. Well, Mike really enjoyed the scones, but he told me he preferred blueberries. Well, Saturday  when I had some free time, I decided to look to see if I could find a recipe using blueberries. 

I found the recipe of Marlene Lenz of New London, IA in the 40th Reunion Limited Edition Midwest Old Threshers Cookbook from 1989. While a couple of people passed, everyone who ate it, raved about it. (I had cut two pieces for us before we left the house to eat later so I ended up giving what was left to Friend Fran to take home to enjoy later. She later sent me a text that the coffee cake was delicious.)

Because I am used to eating "sweets" less sweet, I thought it was very sweet. I even reduced the sugar some. I ate a little bit before we left the house to make sure it was okay. When I told my husband it was really sweet, he said he knew the class was going to like it. (ha)



BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE

1       cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoonfuls from the cup)
1/2    cup margarine (I used unsalted butter)
2       cups flour
2       teaspoons baking powder
1       egg (beaten in a 1 - cup measuring cup, then finish filling the cup with milk)
                *       *       *       *
1       can blueberry pie filling
                *       *       *       *
1       cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoonfuls from the cup)
1       cup flour
1/2    cup margarine (I used unsalted butter)
                *       *       *       *
Nuts (I used walnuts)
                *       *       *       *
 Powdered sugar frosting (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


Mix the first five ingredients - sugar, butter, flour, baking powder, egg, and milk. (I know that is six, but they didn't list the milk along as an ingredient.) together and
spread into pan.
(I sliced the butter and heated it in the microwave for 10 seconds to softened it a little.)


Cover with the blueberry filling.
(I dropped "blobs" around and then spread them together.)


Mix together the sugar, flour, and butter. (This mixture will be crumbly. The mixer does an excellent job for this. I did slice the butter and heated in microwave for 10 seconds to softened a little.)


Top the blueberry filling with the crumbly mixture. 


Sprinkle with nuts.
(I just cut up a few walnuts.)


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. (I did bake mine the full 40 minutes.)


You may "frost" the coffee cake with powdered sugar icing after removing from the oven.
(I sifted a little powdered sugar and added enough milk to make it the consistency I wanted to be able to drizzle it on. It doesn't need a lot because it is personally very sweet to me.)


I misread the recipe and sprinkled the nuts over the pie filling...


I just chopped some more and sprinkled them on top of the crumbs. That meant I had a few more nuts then.


No comments:

Post a Comment