Friday, December 1, 2017

MOLASSES OATMEAL DROPS


On our last full day in Sevierville, TN, we went to several antique shops before going to Dollywood Theme Park our last time. We found some really good ones and if I lived in the area, I think I would find myself visiting them often. Since we were flying back, I restricted myself to just looking for cookbooks. 

And I wasn't disappointed. I found this recipe for Molasses Oatmeal Drops in Louise Durman's Desserts cookbook. Louise Durman's was the food editor for the Knoxville News-Sentinel. The copyright for the cookbook was 1976. I have several cookbooks that I have gotten at estate sales from food editors for newspapers. You can almost guarantee that they are going to be full of winning recipes.

I didn't toast the oats in these cookies (the recipe didn't say to either), but if you did, you would have a molasses cookie with an even stronger nutty taste without having nuts in them. They make a soft cookie that gets even softer if kept in a cookie jar with a tight lid. You might want to layer them between wax paper. I simply took them out of the cookie jar and "air" them on a wire rack OR just left the lid off for several hours. My husband really liked them. The metal lid on my glass cookie jar makes quite a sound every time it is raised or put back on.


MOLASSES OATMEAL DROPS

1/2       cup butter, softened
1/2       cup brown sugar, firmly packed in cup
1           egg
1/2       cup molasses
1/3       cup sour cream
1-3/4   cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon ginger
1/4       teaspoon salt
1-1/4    cup quick-cooking of old-fashioned oats, uncooked


Beat butter and sugar together until creamy.
Add egg, molasses, and sour cream, beat well. 

Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture mixing well.
Stir in oats. 



Chill for about 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter cookie sheets. 
(I have 2 non-stick cookie sheets. I decided to try one without buttering it and used parchment paper on the other one.)


Drop dough onto cookie sheets. (I used my small cookie sheet that hold 1 tablespoon water.) 


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove and cool on wire rack.








I didn't see a difference from using either pan in the end result.



















Makes a little over 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment