Monday, December 11, 2017

PIGOUT CAKE

Are you ready for a most unusual cake? This is not your regular chocolate cake. I took the cake to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share with the volunteers last Tuesday. One of the volunteers came out of the community room eating a piece and said, "I don't know who made this but this is delicious!" Another volunteer told her I had made it. Then I told her what it was called - Pigout Cake and she laughed and said, "Well, that is what I am doing...pigging out on it."

I have never seen a cake made like this using a cake mix. The water gives it a different, more dense texture, but oh so good. Then add the frosting, and omg...perfection. In fact, Volunteer Roger came by the register and told me I had outdone myself on the dessert.

The recipe in Best of the Best from Iowa was from the cookbook Home Cooking with the Cummer Family. This cookbook contains over 400 recipes from 89 different cookbooks that they call the best of Iowa. As of 1998 there were 24 Best of the Best cookbooks from 23 different states (Texas has two.) I have one or two of them. I haven't really done them justice checking them out, but I must. Until then... I hope you will give this Pigout Cake a chance.

I used some sugar free products when I made the cake. I didn't use a sugar free yellow cake mix but could have reduced the calories even more if I had.



PIGOUT CAKE

1       yellow cake mix (You could use a sugar free yellow cake mix)
1       package instant (milk) chocolate pudding (4 serving size) (I used a sugar free mix)
2       cups lukewarm water
2       egg whites, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Combine cake mix and pudding in a large mixing bowl.


Add water and egg whites. (Just whisk the egg whites til lots of bubbles.)


Mix well.


Pour batter in cake pan and spread out evenly.


Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. 

Cool cake slightly in pan on wire rack.






Remove from pan and place on serving plate or covered plastic container.

Frost with frosting when completely cool.

FROSTING

1/4     cup softened butter
1        cup powdered sugar, sifted
1       (8 ounce) container of whipped topping (I used a sugar free one)

Heath or Skor candy bar, crushed (I used a little toffee brittle bits)


Beat butter and powdered sugar together until nice and smooth. (Make sure butter is soft.)


Fold in whipped topping.


Spread frosting on top and sides of the cake.


Sprinkle crushed candy bits on top.

Store in the refrigerator, covered.



No comments:

Post a Comment