Friday, December 8, 2017

APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL CASSEROLE

I have made baked oatmeal before, but this Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Casserole from the Bennett House Bed & Breakfast in the historic district of Old Town Manassas might be my favorite. So many baked oatmeal casseroles are on the dry side. This one definitely isn't. It was very moist and warmed up nicely in the microwave. I ate mine alone, but my husband added his to his yogurt for breakfast.

I found the recipe in a cookbook I bought on one of our trips to Virginia appropriately named Virginia Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. Innkeepers, Jean and Curtis Harrover, said "the dish is loved by low-cal eaters. Skim milk may be used along with sugar and salt substitutes". I did use skim milk and also truvia brown sugar blend and substituted dried cranberries for the raisins. I also added the ingredients that they labeled optional.


APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL CASSEROLE

2       cups milk or half & half (I used skim milk)
1/4    cup packed brown sugar (I used 2 tablespoons brown sugar blend)
1       tablespoon butter
1/2    teaspoon salt
1       cup quick-cooking oats
2       tablespoons cinnamon (optional)
1       cup chopped peeled apple (optional) 
1/2    cup chopped nuts (optional) (I used walnuts)
1/2    cup raisins (optional) (I used dried cranberries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium casserole dish. (I used a casserole dish about 7 x 11 - inches)

Combine milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a simmer, cooking until butter is melted and combined, then remove from heat.

Put oats in casserole.
Stir in milk mixture that you have added the cinnamon to, apple, nuts and dried fruit.
(Make sure ingredients are spread out evenly in casserole.)


Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. (I cooked mine the full amount of time.)


No comments:

Post a Comment