Monday, December 18, 2017

CHEESEBURGER SOUP

Almost every Sunday after Sunday school, we go eat at a local restaurant called Roxanne's Cafe. Occasionally they have Cheeseburger Soup for the soup on Sunday. We have never ordered it, but when I was flipping through a notepad I had where I have written some recipes down and saw Cheeseburger Soup, I decided to give it a try.

I saw the recipe in a book I checked out of the library called Lizzie's Amish Cookbook, favorite recipes from 3 generations of Amish Cooks by Linda Byler with her mother and her daughter. I don't know if Roxanne's Cheeseburger Soup is like it, but I may ask the next time we go out there.

My husband says he doesn't normally like cheese soups, but this one he really likes. In all honesty he did take one look at it and said, "I guess you left out the onions?" I didn't answer him, I just smiled. Then he said, "It just looks like a soup that should have onions in it." Then he asked for the minced dry onions and I sprinkled some in his bowl. I should have taken some out for me and then added onions to the rest for him. I'm bad.


CHEESEBURGER SOUP

1/2         lb ground beef
3/4         cup chopped onion
3/4         cup shredded carrots
3/4         cup chopped celery
1/2         stick (1/4 cup) butter, cut into pieces
1            teaspoon parsley
3            cups chicken broth
3            cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/4         cup flour
2            cups cubed Velveeta cheese (this is about 1 lb)
1-3/4      cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/2         teaspoon salt
1/4         teaspoon pepper
1/2         teaspoon celery salt

In a large pot, brown ground beef. Stir frequently to break up clumps. (I sprayed the pot with cooking spray.)


Add onion, carrots, celery, butter, and parsley.

Cook until vegetables are soft.

In a separate large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
(I put the flour in a small dish and added about equal amount of the broth and stirred with a fork til
smooth and then added it to the mixture.
)


Pour mixture into pot with beef mixture.

Heat until boiling.

Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft.


Great heated up in the microwave as leftovers also.

No comments:

Post a Comment