Monday, December 4, 2017

BANANA CINNAMON BUNDT CAKE

For once I started my dessert to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop earlier in the day. More often than I like, I find myself in the kitchen after dinner on Monday evening making "whatever" to take to the volunteers the next morning when I go to work my shift at the register at the thrift shop. I printed the recipe from King Arthur Flour's Facebook page several weeks ago thinking it would be a good cake to take to Hillcrest.

I cut two pieces for us to keep at home, but I didn't eat mine before I went to the shop. Several people dropped by to tell me how much they liked it. By the end of my shift there were only 3 pieces left (and I cut the pieces small so I had a lot of pieces). After I ate some lunch at home, I ate my piece. I understand why there were only 3 pieces left. I omitted the cinnamon chips because I didn't have them. I bet it would have been even tastier had I included them.


BANANA CINNAMON BUNDT CAKE

Cake:

4         tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4      cup oil
1         cup sugar
2         large eggs
1-1/2   cups mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
3/4      cup sour cream or plain yogurt (I did use the sour cream)
1         teaspoon vanilla
2         teaspoons cinnamon
2-1/4   cups flour
1         teaspoon baking powder
1         teaspoon baking soda
3/4      teaspoon salt
1/2      cup cinnamon sweet bits or cinnamon chips

Icing:

1/2       cup cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2       cup confectioners' sugar
1/8       teaspoon cream cheese flavor, optional (I did omit)
2 to 4   tablespoons milk (I used the whole 4 tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 10 to 12 - cup Bundt pan.

Make the cake:

Beat the butter, oil, and sugar in a large bowl til light and fluffy. (Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.)

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in the mashed banana, sour cream or yogurt, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium size bowl.

Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and beat until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat for 30 seconds more.


Fold in the cinnamon chips.

Pour the batter into the pan.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick. (I took mine out after 45 minutes.)

Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Then remove it and
finish cooling it completely on the wire rack.








Make the icing:

Mix the cream cheese with the confectioners' sugar and cream cheese filling, if using it til smooth.

Add the milk until a think glaze is drizzleable. (I started with 2 tablespoons, then added one more tablespoon and finally the last tablespoon.)

Place cake on serving plate and then drizzle the glaze around the top and let it drizzle down the side.






Store cake, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days. (If it lasts that long.) You may freeze it for longer storage.


No comments:

Post a Comment