Friday, December 15, 2017

CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER TRUFFLES

I am so excited about sharing this recipe with you and what a perfect time, too. I took these Chocolate and Peanut Butter Truffles to an Open House with friends last night. They not only are scrumptious, but so impressive looking. Did I mention how easy they are also? You couldn't find an easier gift for someone and then you get to tell them - you made them.

I intended to take something else to the party, but it didn't turn out well (fortunately that doesn't happen too often with me, but it did this time) and so it was just luck that I ended up making these truffles.

These would be fun to make if you have children (or grandchildren) and you let them roll the "balls" in the coatings. The recipe made exactly (well, there was just a little extra on the sides of the bowl that I got to enjoy) 36 truffles. Don't forget the little mini muffin paper cups if you give them as a gift or take them to a party as I did.

The recipe was from The L.o.V.E Chocolate Cookbook and was in the Best of the Best from Iowa cookbook. Believe it or not I didn't make any changes in the ingredients, just in the time suggested. There was just no way the mixture was ready to work with after being in the refrigerator 2 hours as the recipe said. I just decided to leave it over night which was just perfect. It didn't take that long making the balls and coating them the next morning.



CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER TRUFFLES

1        cup peanut butter chips
3/4     cup butter or margarine (I used unsalted butter.)
1/2     cup cocoa powder
1        (14 - ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1        tablespoon vanilla extract

COATINGS: Finely chopped nuts, or unsweetened cocoa, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, or chocolate or candy sprinkles


In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with the butter.
Stir til melted and smooth.


Stir in cocoa until
smooth.


Add milk and vanilla.


Cook and stir until thickened and well blended, about 4 minutes.
(I cooked mine 5 minutes and decided to stop because the mixture was smooth but not very thick. I didn't want to burn it though.)



Remove from heat.


Transfer to a different bowl and refrigerator overnight.
You want the mixture to be the consistency that you can work with it.
Shape into 1 - inch balls.
(The small cookie scoop works great for this. Mine holds 1 tablespoon of water.)


Roll in any of the toppings suggested or any of your own.




After I rolled the balls, I placed them in a mini muffin paper cup (and then served them in them).

Chill until firm, about one hour. (I rolled mine in the morning and then just left them in the refrigerator all day.)



Store covered in refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment