Wednesday, December 13, 2017

JANICE'S APPLE DUMP CAKE

We celebrated Christmas with our younger son Patrick and his family Saturday night. We had dinner and opened presents. Granddaughter Madison had told her daddy that she wanted burgers so Patrick told me to bring coleslaw and dessert. When I questioned him about the dessert he said apple cobbler. I don't know why I asked because that's usually what he wants. I didn't have to think too long before I decided to make this Apple Dump Cake that Friend Janice makes for her family and for us several times also. I didn't have pictures of when she made it but thought I would take pictures as I made it and then just update this older post. It didn't disappoint Patrick as I couldn't help but see the helping that he dished out for himself. I didn't get a picture, but let's just say it covered the bottom of his 8 - inch paper plate. Think I will probably be asked to make it again. I did leave out the pecans because Grandson Tyler has a tree nut allergy. He was really pleased. (Patricia 12/25/2023)
 
Saturday night when the Tasty Bunch met for dinner, dessert, and gab, we went to a new Texas Road House that opened  nearby for dinner and a little gab. (It is hard to visit much in a busy restaurant and then of course impossible with 10 people sitting at a long table. That's why we decided to go back to the host/ess home for dessert and a quieter place to visit.) Then we went to Friends Janice and Leon's house for dessert and more gab. 

Janice served her Apple Dump Cake for dessert and, as usual, it was so-o-o-o good. She loves making it and I have been lucky enough to enjoy it on several different occasions. Friend Carol wanted the recipe and asked me if I had it on my blog. I told her I did and I would send her the link. 

When we got home, I discovered I had shared Janice's Peach Crisp (which is the same recipe as the Apple Dump Cake but just uses peaches/peach pie filling instead.) and had never shared the recipe using apples. The other thing I noticed is the recipe I/Janice shared was not Janice's own version. At first I thought I would just edit the original post, but after thinking about it for a while, I decided to share her version in a new post. I am sorry that I have only one picture (my serving) but I didn't take a picture of the whole cake because I thought I had already shared the recipe. (You can see a picture of the Peach Dump Cake at that original post here.)

Janice likes to make her version when she wants to serves more than a 9 x 13 - inch pan will serves. She has a glass baking dish that measures 10 x 15 - inches that she uses and it makes enough to serve 12.

PRINT RECIPE.


JANICE'S APPLE DUMP CAKE


Preheat oven to 365 degrees F. Spray a 10 x 15 - inch glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray.











First Layer:


Peel, core, and slice 3 apples and spread over the bottom of the pan.


Spread 2 cans of apple pie filling evenly over the fresh apple slices.


Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar evenly over the pie filling.


Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.


Carefully pour 1/3 cup water over it all.












Second Layer:


Sprinkle a yellow cake mix evenly over the first layer.












Third Layer:


Prepare topping by combining the following ingredients: 


3/4  cup old fashioned oats
3/4  cup quick oats
3/4  cup brown sugar
1/2  cup chopped pecans


Then sprinkle topping evenly over the last layer.



Melt 2 sticks of butter and drizzle over topping covering it evenly.




Cover pan with foil and  bake for 20 minutes.



Remove the foil and continue baking for 40 more minutes.




Can serve alone, with ice cream, or

with whipped topping.














Now if you want to make her Peach Dump Cake, you follow the same directions except you will use a bag of frozen peach slices (10 - 14 ounces) in place of the fresh apple slices and use 2 cans of peach pie filling. She makes a single layer of the frozen peach slices in the bottom of the pan.

Once again, if you would like to see the original post and a picture of the whole cake, check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment