Tuesday, May 16, 2017

CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE PIE

Our Mexican Train group was small this month. There were only four of us who met at my house. I had found this Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie in my Better Homes & Garden cookbook called Eat Healthy Lose Weight. It said 1/10 a serving had 180 calories. I'm not sure about that number as the pie crust has 180 calories per 1/8 a serving. 

Seems like everyone is trying to lose weight so I thought it sounded like a good recipe to try. After I saw how many calories were in the chocolate-flavored crumb pie shell, I refused to buy it and decided I would try something else for the crust.

What I came up with made my 6 servings have about 170 calories each. I had some chocolate wafer cookies that Friend Janice had given me for a recipe that had 140 calories per 7 cookies. Instead of making a pie, I pulled out my footed custard glasses and crushed two cookies for each one and used that in the bottom of the glass. The rest of the recipe I made as directed except I used sugar-free whipped topping. It is the only whipped topping that does not have high fructose corn syrup in it. Even the light has it.




CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE PIE

1         4-serving-size package fat-free, sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
1         teaspoon vanilla (admit I forgot to add)
1/2     of an 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
1/2     of an 8-ounce container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (I used sugar-free instead of light.)
1           6-ounce chocolate -flavor crumb pie shell (if making a pie) or 6 chocolate wafer cookies crushed for custard cups
1           cup fresh raspberries (optional)
1           tablespoon grated semisweet chocolate (optional)


Prepare the pudding mix according to package directions except reduce milk to 1-3/4 cups. Stir in vanilla; set aside.


Place cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave, uncovered, on High for 15 seconds; stir.

Heat on High for 15 more seconds and stir again.


Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed for 15 seconds.
Add half of the pudding mixture and
beat until smooth.


Add the rest of the pudding and beat again until smooth.


Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread mixture in pie shell or
split between 6 custard cup glasses.
(If using the custard glasses, sprinkle crumbs from 2 chocolate cookies in the bottom of the glasses first.)
Chill about 4 hours or until set. (I covered the glasses with a big piece of plastic wrap and kept in refrigerator overnight.)



Can top with a spoon of whipped topping, raspberries, and grated chocolate. (The ladies just wanted it plain with a little extra whipped topping.)



We especially liked that it had the consistency of a cream pie and not just pudding and the cookie crumbs in the bottom were just the right amount of "crust".

No comments:

Post a Comment