Tuesday, May 2, 2017

BANANA (NUT) BREAD

Our granddaughter Madison loves banana bread. I used to make loaves and take to her and the family when we would visit. I'm not sure why I quit making the bread, but the other day when there were bananas donated to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers, I took several bunches with the idea I would make some banana bread. I had taken one of my latest finds at an estate sale (aka a cookbook) to look through during my shift but it turned out to be a busier day than usual on Tuesday so I didn't get too far into the cookbook - actually just the breads. Have you figured out where I am going with the story? 

I found two recipes that sounded good with bananas. One was just a plain banana nut bread and the other one also had blueberries and oats in it. (Would you believe me if I told you there also blueberries upstairs in the kitchen that had been donated for the volunteers?) They did. 

It wasn't until I got home and started to make the simpler Banana Nut Bread, that I decided to make mini loaves instead of the one larger loaf and then surprise our grandchildren, Madison and Tyler, with two of the loaves. (Our son and his wife Lori were celebrating their 10th anniversary in Jamaica and Lori's mother was taking care of the grandchildren.) I left the nuts out because Tyler can't have nuts. I decided to sprinkle nuts on top of the batter for us so as we like banana nut bread. (When we got up to their house, no one was home. Disappointed, we stopped by their godparents' house to see the progress that was being made on their new house they are building and I gave them one of the loaves.)

I didn't take the time to see how it differed from my gazillion other banana bread recipes. I do know it is very, very delicious! We have already started on the other one we took to give to the grandkids. I have used up all of the bananas I got that day at Hillcrest so will have to go buy some this time. (The Banana Blueberry Bread was also fabulous. I will be sharing it in a few days. I took it to quilting and shared it with them and then gave the rest of the loaf to Friend Fran to take home. Her daughter was having knee surgery for the third time.)



BANANA NUT BREAD

1/2       cup oil
1           cup sugar
2          eggs, slightly beaten
3          ripe bananas, mashed
2          cups flour
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
3          tablespoons milk
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1/2       cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or three mini loaf pans.


In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs. Stir til well combined. Blend in the bananas. (I had a heaping cup of mashed bananas with my three bananas.)
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
Stir flour mixture with the banana mixture.
Add milk and vanilla; mixing well. Stir in the nuts if you are using them.
Pour batter into loaf pan(s).
Bake one hour for the large loaf or 35 to 40 minutes for the mini loaves. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the loaf.


Cool in pan(s) on wire rack for 10 minutes.


Remove from pans(s) and finish cooling on wire racks.




(Wrap in foil to maintain moistness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment