Monday, May 8, 2017

BANANA BLUEBERRY BREAD

This delicious Banana Blueberry Bread is what I made with the bananas and blueberries I got at Hillcrest Thrift Shop that one of the nearby grocery stores had donated to the shop for the volunteers. In all of the banana breads I have made, I don't think I have ever grouped bananas and blueberries together. The surprise ingredient in this recipe was the oats. They definitely give the bread a different texture - almost a nutty-like taste.

The recipe makes two big loaves so I decided I would make it Thursday morning before going to our quilting group meeting at Friend Sharon's that afternoon. Sharon usually has drinks for us but no food. I thought the rest of the ladies might enjoy it for an extra treat.(and they did). I gave the rest of the loaf to Friend Fran to take home to enjoy. (Her daughter Sheila was having her third operation on her knee the next day.) That left the other loaf for us to enjoy at home.



BANANA BLUEBERRY BREAD

3        cups flour
1-1/3  cups sugar
4        teaspoons baking powder
1         teaspoon salt
1-1/2  cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2/3    cups oil
4        eggs, slightly beaten
2        cups mashed ripe bananas
2        cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of two 8 x 4 - inch loaf pans.


In a large bowl, (make sure the bowl is a large one) stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.


Stir in oats.


Add oil, eggs, bananas, and blueberries and stir just til mixed.
(This is a little difficult but just fold the mixture slowly until all wet.)
(I started with the whisk but changed to my wooden spoon which was easier to work with.)
Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans.


Bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes.


Run a knife around the edges of the bread and turn out to finish cooling on wire rack.



Wrap with foil and place in refrigerator for several hours before cutting to serve. (I took the wrapped loaf to Sharon's and placed in refrigerator for 2 hours before I cut it to serve.)



Recipe from Sandee Kimble Dayton's Rosedale, New and improved 2nd edition POT-LUCK for 33,000. Recipes from the great Dayton's Hudson's and Marshall Field's cookoff, a benefit for the Untied Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment