Tuesday, May 9, 2017

MOM'S MACARONI AND CHEESE

Friend Janice and I went to an estate that was advertising 1500 cookbooks for sale. We didn't make it to the sale until the second day and then after lunch. I take their word that they started with 1500 cookbooks. We were told that the owner had taken 300 cookbooks with her when she moved. They obviously had sold quite a few because there were not near that many by the time we got there. She had a lot of regional cookbooks so I was really hoping I could find some "new" Amish cookbooks. 

I told Janice I was only going to buy Amish cookbooks. Well, I meant it when I said it. And the two I bought are good ones. This recipe for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese came from a cookbook called What's Cooking at Moody's Diner - 60 years of recipes and reminiscences by Nancy Moody Genthner. I wondered if the diner was still there and was totally fascinated by what I learned on their website. They are still in business and it is still in the family. It has grown and changed many times from 3 cabins ($1/per night in 1927) in Waldoboro, Maine to 18 cabins and a 104 - seat diner today.

The recipe makes a really good mac ' n cheese but I have to admit I used half the cheese the recipe called for. I finished grating an 8 - ounce block of cheese that I had used in a recipe and still had half of it left and it made quite a bit. I should have used a whole block though to equal 2 cups as the cheese people measure it. It still tasted good though with half the cheese.


MOM'S MACARONI AND CHEESE

2        cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2        tablespoons butter
1/2     teaspoon salt
3        tablespoons flour
dash pepper
2        cups milk
2        cups grated cheddar cheese (8 - ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter over low heat or in a double boiler.
Stir together the flour, salt, and pepper and add.
Add milk;
stir until thick.
Add cheese.
When cheese is melted,
add to macaroni and
stir...
pour into a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
Bake for 30 minutes.


and serve








I can't wait to try some more recipes from the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment