Tuesday, May 30, 2017

CHEDDAR MEATLOAF

I saw this recipe for Cheddar Meatloaf over at Kevin Williams' amish365.com . Since meatloaf is one of my husband's favorite dishes, I printed it so I could make it. 

Kevin doesn't know this but he saved us lots of money and probably 30 lbs of ground beef, about 5 - 10 lbs of chicken breasts, along with a lot of other things we had in our freezer. You see I had friends coming over for a fun afternoon of Farkle and remembered about midmorning that I needed to go down to the garage to the freezer to get out a lb package of ground beef to thaw so that I could make the meatloaf that night for dinner. Well, when I opened the freezer, I saw frost everywhere and noticed the can of frozen orange juice looked a little strange - a little bent. We realized the freezer had quit working and some of the things were already thawed. I quickly called Friend Fran to see if she had an extra freezer and if so, could we bring over some of the meat before it all thawed. 

We got back from Fran's house about 45 minutes before everyone was supposed to arrive at our house. (I gave Fran three lb. packages of the ground beef and told her to cook it and brought home three packages to do the same. Fortunately that was all that had completely thawed.) Just think what a loss we would have had if I had not seen Kevin's recipe and decided to make it that day. Thank you Kevin!

I didn't have Amish cheddar cheese and had to just use mild cheddar cheese that I grated. I don't know how it would have tasted differently, but I know, mine was really, really good. So juicy!  Our younger son, Patrick, also likes meatloaf so I know what I am going to make the next time we have them over for dinner.


CHEDDAR MEATLOAF

1        lb lean ground beef
1/2    cup diced onion
1        cup (4 ounces) grated Amish cheddar cheese (I grated 4 ounces of mild cheddar cheese.)
3/4    cup milk
1/2    cup oatmeal (I used old fashioned oats)
1        egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients well.
I did beat the egg in the milk before I added them to the mixture.
I used my hand and fingers to mix it up.
Place mixture in a loaf pan (I used an 8 x 4-1/2 - inch loaf pan.) and smooth out flat.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Meanwhile mix together:

2/3       cup catsup
1-1/2   teaspoon mustard
1/2       cup brown sugar (I did substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar blend)
dash of vinegar

Cover the partially baked meatloaf with the mixture and return it to the oven
and bake 15 more minutes.





Serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment