Wednesday, May 3, 2017

FIVE STAR COCONUT CAKE

Often I bake something that I can't wait to share with you. This Coconut Cake is one of those. One of the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop told me, "Your cake was really good." I said, "I know, it was, wasn't it?" Then she said, "Everything you make is good." My response was, "Maybe, but this one was REALLY GOOD!" and I mean it. It is definitely a Five Star Coconut Cake.

Last year when we went on one of our trips with our Friends Janice and Leon, we stopped at a restaurant and ordered lunch and a piece of coconut cake. (I had read reviews of the place and several people talked about the coconut cake.) When we walked in, we walked by the dessert table to our table and we could see most of the coconut cake was gone. So before we ordered our lunch, we told the waitress that we wanted 4 pieces of the coconut cake after we ate. That was the best coconut cake ever. I can't tell you how many cookbooks I have looked through trying to find a recipe that I thought might be close.

Friend Julie over at Brick and Mortar recently shared a coconut cake that she made a friend. I thought about making it for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop but as I was mixing it up, I changed my mind and left out some ingredients (the vanilla wafers and nuts) and used Greek yogurt instead of eggs in the cake. I also made a frosting recipe I shared a year or so ago with you. 

The results? Well, my husband and I discussed it and decided it might not be like the one we had in Virginia (not as dense) but it definitely was right up there in taste. You can see Julie's recipe for Coconut Crumb Cake here. I may still make it and then share it with you. She said her friend asked her for the recipe.



COCONUT CAKE

1      white cake mix + ingredients to make according to box (I used a Pillsbury cake mix and used 1/4 cup coconut blended Greek yogurt for the 3 eggs.)
1       cup sweetened flaked coconut
1       teaspoon vanilla

1       container of vanilla frosting
1       8 - ounce container of whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour the bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Mix cake mix according to box directions except substitute 1/4 cup coconut blended Greek yogurt for the eggs.
(Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl as you beat it.)

Add the coconut and vanilla.

Spread batter in the pan.

Bake according to box directions. (I think I baked mine 35 minutes.)

Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes before removing to serving tray.



When cake is completely cooled, combine the vanilla frosting with the whipped topping -
folding until ingredients are
completely blended. It makes more than enough to generously frost a cake. I had some leftover that I didn't use.


Frost top and sides of cake.
Sprinkle additional cup of coconut on cake.





Store in refrigerator.

I have to share with you my almost disaster. I can't remember the last time this happened to me. I sprayed the pan with a nonstick cooking spray with the flour in it. But I did use a pan I bought at an estate sale that I haven't used very much - maybe that was the reason. I usually just set the timer for 10 minutes whenever I take a cake or bread out of the oven and then remove it from the pan. But anyway - this time - when I flipped the cake pan over onto my Tupperware container I was going to store it on, this is what I saw...



What I did was wait until the pan had completely cooled and then took a long plastic spatula and gently working under the stuck cake in the pan brought it out in two main pieces and laid them on the cake where they belonged.



It may not have looked like the best looking cake ever, but after it was frosted, you couldn't tell it at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment