Monday, May 29, 2017

HUMMINGBIRD CAKE

My mother liked to make a Hummingbird Cake. I'm not sure if I have ever made one myself. I have a recipe for a lighter version of a Hummingbird Cake and when I find it, I am going to make it.

Friend Ellen made this one for us when the quilters' canasta group met at her house. She had never made one and she was very generous with her serving sizes. I was so proud of myself when I confined myself to just eating one layer. I took the other two layers home for my husband. It was just as good as I remember my mother's cake being.


HUMMINGBIRD CAKE

3       cups flour
2       cups sugar
1        teaspoon baking soda
1        teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon cinnamon
3       eggs, beaten
1        cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1        (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1        cup chopped pecans
2       cups chopped bananas
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
1/2    cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9 - inch round cake pans.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT BEAT!

Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.

Spoon batter into the three pans.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a wire rack.

Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake, then sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1       (8-ounce) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2   cup butter, softened
1       (16-ounce) pkg powder sugar, sifted
1       teaspoon vanilla

Combine cream cheese and butter, beating until smooth.

Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.


I took some pictures to share with you at Ellen's house. Enjoy.

Her dining room table decorated for spring...


I think she told me her husband gave her this for their wedding anniversary. So cute.....



These were Ellen's when she was a child. Love the cabinet she has them displayed in.  


One last look at her delicious cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment