Wednesday, May 10, 2017

SLOPPY JOES/MACARONI CASSEROLE

While flipping through one of my recent estate sales finds - The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes Cookbook (from Canada), I saw this recipe for Sloppy Joes. It sounded like a good recipe to try using some of my ground beef. 

Monday I needed to make my weekly casserole and remembered the recipe but couldn't remember which cookbook it was in. I had to go through five or six cookbooks that I have been looking through lately until I finally found it. It didn't take as long as it sounds because I did sorta remember where it was on the page and even how it looked on the page. The problem was I had the cookbook on my "new" round table we bought for our dining room and wasn't looking there.

Knowing my husband isn't really crazy about Sloppy Joes, I came up with the idea of adding some cooked macaroni and some cheese to it and making a casserole. The only change I made in Mrs. Arthur Driedger's of Leamington, Ontario original Sloppy Joe recipe was increasing the water to 1-1/2 cups. My husband said it tasted pretty good. You can omit the macaroni and cheese if you like and you will have a good Sloppy Joe.


SLOPPY JOE'S/MACARONI CASSEROLE
1       lb ground beef
1       small onion, minced (I did omit.)
1       teaspoon salt
1/8   teaspoon pepper
1/4   teaspoon chili powder
2      tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4  cup ketchup
1       cup dried macaroni, cooked according to directions
grated cheese - I grated about 2 ounces of cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni according to directions on bag/box. Drain.

While macaroni is cooking, brown ground beef (and onion), and seasonings in skillet til beef is no longer red.

Blend in flour.
Add 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups water,
then ketchup and Worchestershire sauce.


Simmer, stirring occasionally
(This is when you will add the cooked macaroni if you are making a casserole.)
about 15 minutes.


Sprinkle cheese on top and heat 5 more minutes.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment