Friday, May 26, 2017

CHERRY CINNAMON COBBLER

I have been trying to find recipes for desserts that are lower in calorie than many I make. I do always try to reduce when I can, but some recipes just have a lot of calories. The picture of a serving of this Cherry Cinnamon Cobbler was just so delicious looking, I knew I had to make it. I just wanted to make it in a "lighter" version also. As always you don't have to if you aren't counting calories.

I made it for the quilters canasta group meeting at Friend Fran's house. (I always make the dessert for her when she hosts because she doesn't do that much baking anymore. She said she would just buy something and so I offered to make a dessert for her whenever she has any of our small groups over.)

I figured out my version only had about 170 calories per serving. That's not too bad. Everyone liked it also. It wasn't heavy tasting and not super sweet---just right. I used cherry pie filling that was no-sugar-added and reduced fat cinnamon rolls to reduce the calories. You can use other flavored pie filling also if you like.


CHERRY CINNAMON COBBLER

1       can (1 lb. 5 oz.) prepared cherry pie filling (I did use a no-sugar-added pie filling)
1       can Refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls, with icing (I bought "reduced fat" ones.)
2       tablespoons butter, melted
1/4    cup chopped pecans
1/8    teaspoon grated lemon peel (I use California lemon peel)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour pie filling in an 8 - inch round layer pan. Heat for 15 minutes.

Separate cinnamon rolls
and dip edges in butter,
then in pecans.
Arrange, topping side up on top of the hot pie filling.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.

Combine lemon peel and icing in a small bowl.
Heat in microwave for about 10 seconds or long enough to thinner for easier spreading.

Spread icing over the tops of the rolls.
Serve

Serves 8. 

....a treasury of bake off favorites - Pillsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment