Thursday, January 10, 2013

THE BEST CORNBREAD IN THE WORLD

(Check out the update below.)
I make the best cornbread in the world. How do I know I can make that statement? I know because my daddy told me so. Many times.  

Every time they came to visit us after I married and I made cornbread, he would say it tasted like cake.Then he would tell my mother, who was a GREAT cook, that she should get my recipe. (I am sure this really pleased her.) She would remind him that she had the recipe.

I think my secret is melting the shortening in the iron skillet in the oven when the oven is preheating. This makes the batter start cooking immediately. You can see in the picture below.  

The original recipe calls for all-purpose flour. Depending on my mood, I have used all-purpose flour or if I wanted to use more whole grains, have used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all- purpose flour. I have even used all whole wheat (pastry) flour. Whole wheat flour does give it a different taste, so if you want to use whole wheat flour, try to find whole wheat pastry flour. It doesn't taste as strong and is finer ground. This time I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half soft wheat flour. I have started using the soft wheat flour most of the time now for all-purpose flour.  It has less gluten. 


BEST CORNBREAD IN THE WORLD

1     cup yellow cornmeal
1     cup flour
4    teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (sugar substitute works fine)
1     egg
1     cup skim milk
heaping spoon of shortening

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Place 8 or 9-inch iron skillet with a heaping spoonful of shortening in the oven to melt the shortening. (I honestly do not measure the shortening.  It should be enough so that when it melts, it completely cover the bottom of the skillet without having to tilt the skillet.  That way it comes up the sides of the skillet when you pour in the batter .)

Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl with a whisk.

Add the egg and milk. Stir with whisk until completely mixed.

Pour batter in the skillet.

Bake for 20 minutes and remove.

Flip over on a plate and serve.

I slice in the middle and spread with margarine.

Best eaten as soon as it comes out of the oven. 

UPDATE!!!!!! After I published this post, I found a recipe for Hamwiches that used Jiffy cornbread mix. Today I decided to make my best cornbread in the world and just add the ham and cheese to it. WELL, I have been eating the hamwiches made with the Jiffy cornbread mix and I had forgotten HOW GOOD MY CORNBREAD IS. I like the hamwiches so much better with my cornbread.  

If you are interested in trying the hamwiches , make the cornbread from the recipe above and then add

1 cup chopped ham
2 tablespoon shredded cheese (I cut mine up to make the pieces smaller)

and cook cornbread in a muffin pan.  Here is what mine looked like
I made 12 muffins and 3 cornbread sticks. 

You might want to give it a try. Great for snacks. I will freeze them and just heat one up in the microwave for about 20 seconds when I want to eat one.

Remember when you finish using an iron skillet, do not wash it with soap....use only hot water. If necessary use a clean wash cloth or paper towels with the hot water. Dry the skillet by placing it on the stove top and turn the burner on. Once the water has evaporated, remove the skillet from the burner. It is not necessary to put any oil on the skillet to put it away. 

10 comments:

  1. The secret to good cornbread is the cast iron skillet. My mom gave me two as a wedding gift 35 years ago. We lost a house to fire and my skillets was all I salvaged from the ruins. I like to add a little diced onion to my cornbread, it makes it very moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I love my iron skillets. Yours sound like they are very special to you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Patricia,
    Sorry I haven't write, my husband has been sick with dizziness so I have been in charge of everything .
    I'm trying your cornbread recipe with my potatoes soup.
    I will tell you how it turn out!
    Hugs, Rina .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Rina, but sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he is feeling better. Glad you found my cornbread recipe. While I think the iron skillet helps with the crunchy outside that I love so much, it should still have the great taste inside. Can you find iron skillets in your stores? I have 6 different sizes.ha. Hope you are having a good day!

      Delete
  3. I'm baking it in a Pyrex because I don't have an iron skillet.��

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how publish pictures��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Rina, I will have to find out. Sorry, would love to see your results. Did you like it?

      Delete
  5. Yes I like it very much!
    I can't find iron skillet in the stores here, only frying pan. If you have six of them you can choose every time you want to bake some different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are generally all used for different things. The one I make cornbread in is only used to make cornbread. Just call me crazy.

      Delete
  6. No, you are not crazy! I do the same with my pans, wooden spoons, and so on. Next time I will come to the states I will buy one to bring home.

    ReplyDelete