Wednesday, February 6, 2013

HARD TO BELIEVE IT IS FEB 6

I'm sitting here in my living room, listening to the birds sing outside, the sun is coming through my front window, the thermometer says 56 degrees F but it certainly feels warmer than that (or is it all just relative?).....all's right with the world.....and it is February 6. Hard to believe.

I started my morning off by meeting Janice at the Y and walking two miles. We start out saying we will walk for 30 minutes and then we see how many laps we have walked in that amount of time. If we are close to a full second mile, we will go on and walk it. We aren't walking as fast as we were last week because I was having some problems with my left leg hurting. I am hoping we can "pick up the pace" soon. My leg hasn't hurt this week but I don't won't to rush it.

Yesterday my cousin Carol posted on fb that she wished she had a good smoothie recipe that didn't have a lot of ingredients. I told her I had a good one and the ingredients.  

Today when I realized it was time for lunch and didn't really have anything I wanted to eat, I remembered the smoothie. Since I had all the ingredients, I decided to make one for my lunch. After all, it looks like smoothie weather (if there is such a thing) with the sun shining and the warmer temperatures.

While you can use different frozen fruit (fresh fruit works well also), the basic recipe is the same.


(I show the whole bag of frozen berries, but you only use 1 "cup" full.)


MIXED BERRY SMOOTHIE


1    cup frozen berries ( I took out strawberries and blackberries today.)
1/2 cup yogurt, or skim milk (I used Greek yogurt - key lime flavor- that had added protein and fat free.  Any flavor though will do.)
1    banana
Ice (about 5 cubes)


Put all ingredients in the blender 











and blend til smooth. Will probably have to take an iced teaspoon and stir it up to help move the ingredients around. It made 1-2/3 cups 




I didn't have a glass big enough to hold all of it, so I "treated" myself to a "gobblet" and just refilled it until I had finished it all.









It was good and thick....just the way I like it.










After I had finished it, I decided to bake some more of the BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS ... the other batch didn't last too long. They are so good and only have 2 tablespoon margarine and 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce. They are also made with whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour--like the taste better). So I rationalize they are good for me. You can find the recipe HERE.

I made them in a new little 4-mini-mini loaf pan I got at Hillcrest Thrift Shop yesterday for a dollar....it was my usual day to "work" there. They are just the cutest things. Janice says they are called muffies. I just know they are cute.  I will have to be on the out-look for another pan. We have seen them at estate sales, but I always talked myself out of them.

Tonight I have handbell practice at church. We are playing Sunday. Everyone is playing different bells than we usually do for this song. A couple of the women wanted to try different ones, so Sara, our director, decided everyone would pick different bells. I normally play D5 and E5 but will be playing E4 and F4. They weigh at least twice (or more) what I am used to picking up, but it is fun for a change.

Guess I had better stop and run to Wal-mart. Need some dishwasher soap. Hope you give my smoothie recipe a try and even the banana chocolate chip muffins. After all, they are both good for you. It wouldn't be on the internet, if it wasn't so. Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment