Tuesday, February 5, 2013

HOLIDAY CAKE AKA MOTHER'S LEMON JELLO CAKE

Chances are if Mother was going to make a cake, it would be her Lemon Jello Cake. It was so easy to make and a favorite of everyone's because it was so moist. It was always enjoyed with a cup of coffee in the middle of the afternoon.

When I got older and probably on my own, I realized I could change the flavor of jello and make it any color I wanted it to be. This worked out great for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and of course, any (Spring) color for Spring.  The rest of the year, I just used the lemon Jello.  

Now that I am older and my eating habits are changing, I make the cake and reduce the calories as much as I can without reducing that great, moist taste. I first started substituting sugar-free Jello for the regular Jello. Now that you can buy sugar-free cake mixes (so far just yellow and devil's fool, but hoping the companies will expand the varieties), I can substitute a sugar-free yellow cake mix and thus reduce the sugar content even more. In fact if you are diabetic, you could reduce all added sugar by just eating the cake plain....trust me it is still good or just by lightly dusting powdered sugar on top and have minimal sugar.

I have found the cake works great if you want to add fresh fruit and some whipped topping for a shortcake, too.  

Today I made the cake using sugar-free strawberry Jello and I used coconut extract for the lemon flavoring.  Of course I used a sugar-free yellow cake mix.  I also used the coconut extract in the icing.


LEMON JELLO CAKE

1      box yellow cake mix (I use Pillsbury Sugar-Free Yellow Cake Mix)

1      small package of lemon Jello (I use sugar-free Jello)

3/4   cup water

1/2   cup canola oil

4      eggs

1      teaspoon lemon flavoring extract

ICING:

1    box powdered sugar sifted (I use 2 cups powdered sugar sifted)

enough water to make a thin glaze (I use 10 teaspoonfuls)

1   teaspoon lemon flavoring extract


Combine cake mix and jello in large mixing bowl













Add water, oil, eggs, and flavoring.  





Stir on low until all moistened. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat two minutes.





Spread evenly in fluted pan

bake for 1 hour.






Prepare icing by sifting the powdered sugar and mixing in flavoring and water in a medium bowl. Stir til all the powdered sugar has dissolved. Add more water if necessary to make it as thin as you want it. Set aside until cake is cooked.

Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack.







Remove from the pan by inverting the pan on the platter you plan to serve the cake. (Cake will be upside down on platter.)




Pour icing over cake as soon as you remove it from the pan.








When you cut into it....



I used strawberry flavored Jello.  If you wanted a darker red, try black cherry flavored Jello.


If you want to make the cake for St. Patrick's Day, use lime flavored Jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment