Wednesday, February 27, 2013

5 - MINUTE FRENCH TOAST IN A MUG

This morning when I got up I saw a piece of paper on the floor.  I noticed it had writing on it when I reached down to pick it up.  

It was a post-it with a recipe for 5 - Minute French Toast in a Mug that I had copied down  months ago while watching Live with Kelly.  I don't know where it had been or how it came to be on the floor in my bedroom, but it was just what I needed to see this morning.

Over the last week Kansas City has received about 19 inches of snow -- depending on where you live and which weatherman you are listening to.  I was ready for a change and why not start with breakfast, I thought.

I have been eating Total cereal for probably a month now for breakfast because it has 100% of the daily recommended calcium in it.  I do add raisins which helps, but this morning I felt like eating something different.

And there it was -- right in front of me -- French toast in a mug. I love French toast and often order it if we eat out for breakfast.  

So I thought -- Why not give it a try?! 

Eating it I decided changes I would make next time -- I have reflected those changes in my recipe below. I also use light margarine and skim milk. Feel free to use whatever you usually use.

I was surprised how good it was. I think I will treat myself at least once a week now with it -- I  bet my grandchildren would love this. Will have to tell them about it.



5 - MINUTE FRENCH TOAST IN A MUG


1     large mug
1     tablespoon light margarine
1     egg
4     tablespoons skim milk
1/2  teaspoon cinnamon
1/4  teaspoon sugar
1/8  teaspoon vanilla extract
2     slices of bread (with or without the crust)


Place the margarine in the mug and place in the microwave for 30 seconds on High.









With a spoon coat the sides of the mug with the melted margarine.










In a small mixing bowl, place egg, milk, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla 









Whisk until well blended.











Break up the two slices of bread into pieces.  (The next time I make it, I am going to remove the crust and try it that way.)







Put bread pieces into mug and press down, otherwise, the bread will be over the top (or at least mine was)








Then pour the egg mixture over the bread evenly to try to coat it all.

























Place in microwave and cook for 5 minutes. Be careful when removing the mug from the microwave. Mine wasn't hot, but yours might. Let it cool a minute or two. ( Last week I burned the roof of my mouth eating chili that was too hot and I still have one small place that still hasn't healed....so I am watching that my food isn't too hot until my mouth completely heals.)


Pass the syrup and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment