Monday, February 25, 2013

BUTTERSCOTCH CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS - LOW FAT - LOW SUGAR

This is another recipe from the Eat What You Love! cookbook I got from my "Auntie", written by dietitian, Stacey Pardue.  

At the time Stacey was testing the recipes she includes in the cookbook, she used "reduced fat" cake mixes and Butter Buds for oil. Now you can buy sugar-free cake mixes, at least yellow and devil's food which is what I do. So in her recipes that call for a reduced fat yellow cake mix, I substitute the sugar free one.  

I'm not familiar with Butter Buds, but in the front of the book, she has a chapter called Change a Little...Save a Lot. She lists substitutions and how many calories you can save. In this list is 1/2 cup oil. She says substitute 1/2 cup liquid Butter Buds, or 1/2 cup applesauce, or 1/2 cup plain yogurt. That can save 900 calories. I have chosen to use the 1/2 cup (unsweetened) applesauce instead of the Butter Buds. (Can you still buy this in the grocery stores?)

The calories have been reduced probably as much as they can be. Obviously, you can make the recipe by using a regular yellow cake mix, oil, eggs (1 egg = 1/4 cup Egg Beaters or Egg Whites) etc. Either way the great taste is still there.


BUTTERSCOTCH CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS - LOW FAT - LOW SUGAR

1     box Pillsbury Sugar Free Classic Yellow Cake Mix
1     small box sugar free butterscotch instant pudding mix
1/2  cup fat free Egg Beaters
1/2  cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4  cup brown sugar
1     teaspoon butter extract
1/3  cup skim milk
3/4  cup reduced fat semisweet chocolate chips (I used chunks because I was out of chips)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (350 degrees F if using glass pan)

Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. (My glass pan was 8 x 11-inch)

Combine all ingredients except for the chips in a large mixing bowl with (wooden) spoon until well blended.


Add the chocolate chips and stir.


Spread in pan. (Batter is thick.)


Bake 20 - 25 minutes. Do not over bake. (I checked mine after 20 minutes by pressing lightly the center. Since my pan was slightly smaller than what the recipe called for, I cooked mine the extra 5 minutes. It was perfect.)


Cut into bars before serving.



I love the butterscotch taste and it is so moist.  Will use the chocolate chips next time as the chunks are a little bigger than chips would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment