Wednesday, February 13, 2013

BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE

This is the recipe for a blueberries pound cake that I found a couple of days ago in my recipe book called Eat What You Love! My husband had gotten some Egg Beaters the last time we went to the grocery store so I decided to follow the recipe.....well, almost. The recipe called for Butter Buds (?) and in the front of the cookbook on their substitution list, they showed oil or applesauce. Since I was going "Totally Good for You", I decided to use only applesauce.  

NOTE:  If you aren't concerned about calories and cholesterol, use a regular yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, and regular cream cheese. The reduced calorie version tastes great though.



BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE

1       box sugar-free yellow cake mix
1       cup water
3/4  cup Egg Beaters
1/2   cup unsweetened applesauce
8      ounces fat free cream cheese
1/4   cup sugar
2     cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray. 

Combine cake mix, water, Egg Beaters, and applesauce in mixing bowl on low speed until moistened. Then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.

In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar; blend well.






Add cream cheese mixture to cake batter and mix well.
Fold in 2 cups blueberries.



Pour into prepared pan.









Bake for 1 hour.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing it to continue cooling.



This picture reminds me of the commercial for blueberry muffins "full of blueberry stuffing".




Yesterday I took the cake to Hope Circle Quilters meeting at the church before I took it to Hillcrest Thrift Shop where I volunteer. (I didn't want to leave it in the car)  Before I left home, I dusted the top with powdered sugar but it didn't stay too long.  The cake is so moist (even though I had made it the night before) that the powdered sugar just soaked right in.



I had to offer my friends at Hope Circle some of it -- can't be rude. Well, Fran, Teresa and I ate this much of the cake. (Good thing we had such a small turnout for the meeting.)

So I didn't have the whole cake then to take to Hillcrest. 

I "bake-and-take" often to Hillcrest and the volunteers always like what I bring, but I received so many compliments yesterday for this cake.  I don't like when people rename their dishes "Better than sex" or "Crack", but if I did, I would certainly label this Blueberry Pound Cake that. And to top it off, it has no oil and only 1/4 cup added sugar. It is just so hard to believe that it tastes so good....like a pound cake. You must give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment