Thursday, February 7, 2013

FRENCH BREAD PIZZA

Last night I had handbell practice at 6:00 so that means we have to eat a fast, easy, early dinner. When I had gone to Wal-mart earlier, I had decided to get some ingredients I needed to make French bread pizza.

I had seen the idea and thought it would be perfect for us because my husband and I like different stuff on our pizzas. He is a supreme-sort-of-guy and I like Hawaiian the best. I will eat multi-meat pizzas but no onions, peppers, mushrooms, olives, etc. He will eat Hawaiian if we are sharing a pizza out, but I know he prefers other kinds.

Anyway the nice thing about this French bread pizza is that you can make each "pizza" different if you like. They all start off the same way....


FRENCH BREAD PIZZA

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


With a loaf of French bread








cut slices about 3/4 inch thick and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.




Lightly butter one side of the cut bread







Turn the cut bread over








Choose a pizza sauce. I found this one that I liked because it had 3 packs. If you are going to be making for your family, you could probably buy a bottle of pizza sauce.


Spread a layer of pizza sauce on each slice of bread (as thick as you like)




Sprinkle a small amount of shredded mozzarella cheese





Then place on your toppings. I put crushed pineapple, drained, and some chopped ham on my two.  


On my husbands, I put fresh mushrooms and some pineapple. (I had started it before he got home and he said he would have eaten pineapple and ham.)


Then top with additional cheese.








Bake in oven for 10 minutes.



Mine










and my husband's.








He ended up making one more for himself and placed some chopped ham on it along with the crushed pineapple and sliced mushrooms. If he had been home when I started, he probably would have had some chopped onion and peppers on it. I just didn't think of having some available for him.

If you wanted to make this for your family, your children might enjoy making their own.

They were really good and since I like pizza but we don't eat a lot of it because of the calories, I can make these and feel good about serving it. The bread had no fat in it and the mozzarella cheese was low fat.  The margarine (what little bit I used, was also "light")

No comments:

Post a Comment