Monday, April 4, 2022

BLOCK 17: SEE-SAW BLOCK PATTERN

 I am currently over half way through with my 30 - Block Exchange. As I have said in other post tutorials, I have really enjoyed exploring new block patterns and I can't believe how much I have learned. I've made mistakes and think I have learned from them. You can easily catch my mistakes in my pictures, but I hope you read what I write and not just look at the pictures.

I really liked the outcome of this block and used my coordinating prints again that I have made several block with. I also used a new technique I learned called cornered strips. It is also called Flying Geese which I had heard of but never had looked how to make them. See I said, "I'm learning stuff every day. It is an easy method of having the HST (half-square triangle) look without having to make a HST which means less seams which I always think is good. The block doesn't look as chopped up then. I used this method with other patterns, too and just rewrote the patterns.



HOW TO MAKE THE SEE-SAW PATTERN BLOCK

(use 1/4" seam and press seams to darker print)

With four different fabrics: #1 dark print or solid

                                          #2 medium to dark

                                          #3 medium to light

                                          #4 light

CUT: #1  eight (8) - 3.5" squares

         #2  four (4) - 3.5" x 6.5" strips

         #3  four (4) - 3.5" x 6.5" strips

         #4  four (4) - 3.5" squares


Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of all of the 3.5" squares.





Place the #1 squares so that the diagonals point to top center on both ends of each #2 strip. You will notice they overlap at the top center. 


Place the #4 squares on one end of the #3 strips like pictured.

Sew on the diagonal line on each #3 strip. (I am using the chain stitching method is why you can see one in front and one behind the presser foot. This just saves time and thread.) 


Cut the threads connecting the strips if you are using the chain stitching method. Trim off 1/4" from the seam. You can save what you cut off for another project.


The marked squares on #2 strips are next to sew. Since the squares overlap, remove one of the squares and just sew on the diagonal line on one of the squares on each strip. Make sure the diagonal line is going from the top center to the diagonal corner.

Just like with the other strips you just finished, trim off 1/4" from the diagonal line. on each strip.

Press the seam open and then place the other square on the other end of the strip.

Complete as with the other ones.

Look like something else you might have made? Flying Geese?




I made HST from the pieces trimmed off for another project.




Using this drawn layout for the pattern,

place the pieces on your design wall.

Spread the pieces out to have four sections. You will sew these four subsections the same way by sewing the two strips together. The only seams that meet when sewing will happen at the end after you have the four subsections finished and have to sew them together two at a time to finish the block.
Each subsection sewed together and pressed on the underside and on top.







When you sew two subsections together, securely pin especially over seams so they don't move as you stitch.

Save pressing this seam until you have just two subsections. I tried something new with this block.

I clipped the seam on just one side/layer at each seam of the yellow print

so I could press the seam open to reduce bulk at the center. 

The I squared up the block with my 12.5" square ruler and trimmed off any excess and repressed on both sides of the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment