Friday, April 22, 2022

BLOCK 23: DO RE MI

 I can't help but feel a little sadder with each block I finish as I near the end of the 30-Block Exchange I am in. I am trying to think of things I want to get done so that I won't have time to get too sad. They are things that we had planned to do last year but just kept putting them off. It is so easy to come up with excuses to put things off to another day. This experience has brought me closer to being out of my depression and I hope by summer I can feel like I am okay now or at least close to being my old me.

This jelly roll quilt block I think it was called Bingo when I saw it online, but while that name might look like a good name, it's one letter too short. And if you know me, you know that bothers me. By the time this post is finished and published I will have thought of something appropriate to name it.

I have tired the block three times, the third time with this result. The first time I cut the strips the directed size, but the block wasn't square. The second time I tried it, I had problems with the strips being a uniform 2.5" wide because the strips came from a grab bag so it didn't work either. This time I cut each strip 1/8" longer than directed. It turned out better but the last strip was a "hair" too short. I'm not sure why I am having this problem.  



HOW TO MAKE A  DO RE MI BLOCK 

(using 1/4" seams and pressing strips away from the square)

CHOOSE six (6) prints for the strips and a different print/color for the squares (steps). Strips must be 2.5" wide so a jelly roll set will work nicely or scraps. 



From Prints #1 & #6 each CUT one (1) strip  2.5" x 10.5"

From Prints #2 & #5 each CUT one (1) strip  2.5" x 8.5" and one (1) 2.5" square

From Prints #3 & #4 each CUT one (1) strip  2.5" x 6.5" and one 2.5" x 4.5" and a 2.5" square from each print

For Print W CUT six (6) 2/5" squares

ARRANGE the cut pieces in the order to model this drawing:






SEW each column by sewing the strip(s) with the square W. SEW the strips together matching seam for the square step.

PRESS seams in direction of your choice. (When it doesn't matter, I press the seam the way it "wants to lay".) My way.


SQUARE UP and TRIM block to 12.5". (If you look closely, you may notice the bottom lower right strip is slightly short but no more than 1/8" at the most.)













No comments:

Post a Comment