Monday, March 21, 2022

BLOCK :13 OH SUSANNAH BLOCK SQUARE

 This block called Oh Susannah is a pretty, old block can be made in three different ways. I will explain the three different ways, but can only show you pictures of two of the ways. The method you use will depend upon the prints that you choose to make the block. Sometimes you have a pretty print that you don't want to chop up. I know I do. Sometimes when you are looking at a finished block online, it looks like they didn't cut up the print and then when you zoom in the picture, you can see they did have a seam but did an outstanding job matching it. I don't think I have the talent or the need to show off my skill when most people won't notice, as they say. Anyway, there are two places that you can have the print run continuously - the square-in-a-square for the center section and also for the strips going to the center. I don't know how to really describe the latter accurately. In my tutorial I decided to keep the "square" in the center section one piece. Below the tutorial I will describe how the block could be made differently.  

The QST center way is a good way to make the block if you have a print that you don't want to cut up into two squares. Except for the fact that I used a print with so-called lines and got a couple of the squares turned the wrong way and had to "unsew" (aka "rip out") several times. Because of this experience I would probably strongly suggest that you avoid prints with lines, plaids, or directional prints. It will save you many headaches!



HOW TO MAKE THE OH SUSANNAH BLOCK SQUARE WITH A SOLID CENTER BLOCK

You will need three different fabrics - a light/cream/white , one medium print, and one dark print

CUT from Print #1 (light) one (1) - 6.5" square and four(4) - 3.5" squares

CUT from Print #2  (medium) eight (8) - 3.5" squares

CUT from Print #3 (dark) four (4) - 3.5" squares

The first thing we will do is to make the center square - in - a - square using a technique called connector corners. I personally love this method for making a square-in-a-square and having a solid piece center square.


DRAW diagonal lines on the wrong side of four of the squares from Print # 2. If you are using a print with lines like I did, make sure you draw the diagonal line with the lines going the same way. I didn't do this on the right one and so my lines aren't all going the same directions on the center section.

Place two of them on opposite corners of the 6.5" square having the diagonal line parallel with the corner.

Sew on the drawn line.

Trim 1/4" on the outside of the line toward the corner. Open the seam out and press the seam away from the center first on the wrong side and then on the top making sure you press as close to the seam as you can

Place the other two squares on the opposite corners again with the drawn line parallel with the corners and repeat as with the first two squares. 






Pressed.

Place on design wall in this pattern. You might notice in the picture that I didn't have the "lines" running the same way on the outer pairs ("twozies") to match with the center section.

It doesn't really matter which pair you sew first, but that is the next step. I won't go through all of my pictures, etc, with you because you will get the idea.






Once I had all four pairs (twozies), I sewed the corner squares to the top and bottom twozies.

Pressed. I had pressed the twozies toward the darker print and continued  this when I added the light corners.

As I discussed at the beginning of this post, I had so many problems because I used a print with "lines" and I think I unsewed (ripped out) as much as I sewed. Realizing my lines weren't running the same way, I decided to move the two strips with the corners to the sides so that the lines would run the same way. The lines all match but do you see what is wrong with the picture? Hint...look at the dark blue squares on the sides.

I finally got it right but I ended up having to take some twozies apart and resew them.
 

The next thing to do is to sew the outer sections to the center section. I sewed the top and bottom twozies first and then added the strips on the sides. You will have seams that you will need to match up - "nest". Take your time and don't rush this part. Pin to secure the pieces in place. 


Pressed away from the center section.

At this point I decided to check the squareness of this center section. This will assure the flatness of our block when we get finished.

Now add the outer two strips nesting the seams when they meet.




When I squared it up, you can see I have all of my mistakes corrected...Yay.

The back side all pressed neatly.

And the front...Finally! Success!

I mentioned above that I would explain the other methods for making the block. I do have pictures from other quilt blocks to illustrate the techniques. In one of the other methods you will be making four HSTs to make the center section. That means if you are using a print for the center square-in-a-square you will be showing it in four quarters. My example shows using four different prints instead of just one for the center square.





It is a little harder to press with the bulk in the center. I did end up pressing the seams open which I don't really like to do. The other method uses connector corners similar to what I did with my square above but instead of using it on the center square, you will sew it on the rectangular strip you cut for the long strips to the center. 

Remember you cut squares for everything. In the connector corners, you will cut four(4) rectangles 3.5" x 6.5" and sew one of the four (4) white 3.5" squares that you cut for the center square on one end of the rectangle.

   


Making four of these strips, the yellow pieces come together to make the center. Oh Susannah is a beautiful and really easy block. I hope I haven't turned you off of trying it and that my mistakes will help you when you chose your fabrics and make the block.












No comments:

Post a Comment