Friday, March 11, 2022

BLOCK 10: HEATHER'S PENNSYLVANIA SQUARE BLOCK

I'm trying when I can to make a quilt block for the state for members of the 30-Block Exchange Group. Not everyone, but if I do find a block I like that is presented as a state quilt block, I am making it. One of the ladies is from Pennsylvania and I found this pretty pattern called Pennsylvania. When I looked up Pennsylvania Quilt Block, the same pattern came up. Yay!

Friend Janice came over and chose some prints from my stash for about six patterns I wanted to make. The two prints I used for this pattern were two I had picked out earlier that looked good together, but it was getting late and she needed to go home. I told her we would do it the next time she came over. Well, I didn't wait for the next time she comes over.

When I saw this pattern and that it only used two colors, I decided I would use the two blue prints I had. When you search out a pattern, you might see the pattern in lots of different colors and prints. So if there was an intended color combination the Pennsylvania Quilt Pattern was supposed to be, I don't know. I just hope Heather will like it.

The block went together very quickly. If you look closely at the pattern which is what I do all the time, you can see it is a  9-patch with what I call a "fourzie" and others call a 4-patch, I guess in the four corners. It is a good block for "newbies to quilting" to make.



HOW TO MAKE A PENNSYLVANIA BLOCK SQUARE           (using a 1/4" seam and two prints)


CUT from the lighter print four (4) - 4.5" squares and one (1) - 4.5" square from the darker print. 

CUT a strip 2-3/4" x 21-1/2" from both prints. (I know the strips are only 10.5" long - I shorted myself and had to cut two more strips.)


SEW the two strips together with right sides facing and PRESS the seam toward the darker print on both sides.


Cut the strip every 2-1/2 inches so that you have eight "twozies".
FLIP one set and SEW two sets together

"nesting" the seams. You can chain piece these four "fourzies" together if you like.

PRESS the seam in any direction. The seams do not match up with a seam when sewn to the rest of the pieces.

TRIM the "fourzies" to 4.5" using the seams to match up with dimensions on the square ruler. (It was 2-1/4" mark on my ruler.)

PLACE pieces on design wall in pattern. SEW pieces  together to make three rows. I started at the bottom.

PRESS seams on the top and bottom rows in the same direction and the middle row in the other directions so you can "nest" the seams together when you sew the rows together. 


The last thing you always do is square up and trim the block. Since you are making a 12" finished block, your block should measure 12.5" (which allows for the block to be sewn to sashing or other blocks). I was surprised at how much I trimmed off since I had done so much trimming as I made the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment